No announcement yet.

Qt 6.8 Beta Released With Multi-View Rendering, Better GNOME Wayland Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.8 Beta Released With Multi-View Rendering, Better GNOME Wayland Experience

Phoronix: Qt 6.8 Beta Released With Multi-View Rendering, Better GNOME Wayland Experience

The first beta release of the Qt 6.8 toolkit is now available for testing with many new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good that it has better GNOME Wayland experience because when I use VLC media player (which unfortunately still uses Qt 5) it looks ugly on my GNOME desktop so it would be good if Qt 6 looks better.

I don't know any Qt 6 software though. Maybe a lot of Qt software is still on Qt 5?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Good that it has better GNOME Wayland experience because when I use VLC media player (which unfortunately still uses Qt 5) it looks ugly on my GNOME desktop so it would be good if Qt 6 looks better.

I don't know any Qt 6 software though. Maybe a lot of Qt software is still on Qt 5?
      Many programs can be compiled against Qt6, instead of Qt5. Examples, to name a few: octave, zeal, goldemdict-ng, veusz.

Comment

The consensus is that Qt on GNOME should either use a baked in style or the default Qt style, as trying to use Adwaita on Qt just ends up with too many usability issues. This change only effects the window decorations, the apps themselves are the same.

Comment

I don't care about Gnome. How is Qt6 on KDE?

Comment

If only there was some sort of standard method of decorating windows Gnome could have used...

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              I don't care about Gnome. How is Qt6 on KDE?
              Have you not tried Plasma 6 yet? It's far better than Plasma 5, especially on Wayland, because Qt 5 was holding it back.

Comment

More and more software is being ported. And FWIW, VLC looks ugly on Qt desktops, too.

Btw, why are you using VLC? I thought you only used whatever was default? You said a bunch of times that you didn't want to install or use anything that wasn't default.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 14 June 2024, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

Have you not tried Plasma 6 yet? It's far better than Plasma 5, especially on Wayland, because Qt 5 was holding it back.
                  Not for me. I couldn't even get Plasma 6 to work on my AMD-only PC, despite the fact that Plasma 5 Wayland mostly worked like a charm on this very same PC. I'm back on X11 for the time being, albeit with Deepin, because I didn't want to be stuck on Plasma 5.

Comment

QMplay2 is a great Qt6 wayland native video player.

Comment

Working...
                    X