GCC 14 Compiler Adds AArch64 GNU/Hurd Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't OS X a microkernel? I know for a fact that Minux was, the OS that Linux is based on, because in the 90's the inventor of Minux and Linus the inventor of Linux had a debate about Monolithic kernels and microkernels.
    Os x was at some point (when it was still nextstep) a microkernel that got turned into a monolithic one. So while it kept a lot of microkernel-style IPC primitives, all the device drivers live in kernelspace, hardware is mostly accessed via iokit, and not mach messages, and they just a bsd-like syscall abi that does not involve the mach side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSF_Ackermann View Post

Os x was at some point (when it was still nextstep) a microkernel that got turned into a monolithic one. So while it kept a lot of microkernel-style IPC primitives, all the device drivers live in kernelspace, hardware is mostly accessed via iokit, and not mach messages, and they just a bsd-like syscall abi that does not involve the mach side of things.
      Thanks for that. I didn't know. Just did a google search about XNU kernel and found this: "XNU is a hybrid kernel combining the Mach kernel developed at Carnegie Mellon University with components from FreeBSD and a C++ API" Always good to learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
        Is anyone actually using the hurd kernel for anything?
        I think it is hobbyists only, serious effort pretty much died once Linux gained traction

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't OS X a microkernel? I know for a fact that Minux was, the OS that Linux is based on, because in the 90's the inventor of Minux and Linus the inventor of Linux had a debate about Monolithic kernels and microkernels.
          no, macos/osx is not a microkernel but a "hybrid kernel" like windows. And it is essentially like if Ubuntu decided to ship it's distro with no kernel mode drivers for filesystems and only rely on FUSE. Meaning "hybrid" here is just marketing to try and distinguish itself from competition.

Comment

Year of the hurd desktop

Comment

macOS is a “hybrid” kernel, most of the important things run in kernel space. Linux is not based on Minix whatsoever, just inspired by it.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
                I truly believe the Hurd project would get much more attention and would be quicker ready for use with a rewrite in Rust. I'm not even joking.
                Why? It can't be more linux than linux has became.

Even BSDs are struggling to became usable but those have some history at least.

Comment

Originally posted by User29 View Post
                  Why? It can't be more linux than linux has became.
                  It does not need to become Linux. It just needs to provide a usable alternative that is independent from Linux. Being more modular and code being smaller is an intriguing feature; especially as Linux grows even more in the future.

Originally posted by User29 View Post
                  Even BSDs are struggling to became usable but those have some history at least.
                  How do you define "usable"? BSDs are usable, just not for you. Therefore YOU struggle with BSD. The thing is, BSD is not just a Kernel. Theoretically Hurd could be used in BSD as the Kernel, as Hurd tries to be usable with Unix in general.

Comment

My understanding (which could, of course, be laughably wrong) is that GNU Hurd is an ongoing research project more than anything else, and that coding it gives people experience and the possibility of useful techniques being used elsewhere.

How volunteers choose to use their time is up to them. Criticising someone by saying that their hobby isn't productive isn't relevant if the point is that they enjoy whatever it is they are doing. Some people collect stamps, others watch cat videos. Programming Hurd is harmless, and might have wider benefits.

Telling someone who collects stamps that, in your opinion, they should be collecting Svarovski crystal figures instead is unlikely to go down well.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

It does not need to become Linux. It just needs to provide a usable alternative that is independent from Linux.
                      We already have that; it's called Haiku. (And BSD, if you want want.)

Comment

Working...
                      X