X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

I wasn't talking about you personally. I was using you in the generic way.
    I know, I just wanted to clarify that.

Leave a comment:

• AlanTuring69
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I know, though I recall Linus Torvalds saying smth like you should be able fix the bug in your project without a debugger, because if you're familiar with your project you should have a good hunch where the bug is based on its manifestation. Which is why I'm using a debugger when dealing with foreign projects.
    And that's true, but (1) as you say, often times you work on code you are not completely familiar with and (2) there are situations when it saves a lot of time. I think it's been a couple of weeks since I last attached a debugger.

As an aside, GDB has never been the standard for debuggers. It may have been most commonly used on GNU systems but there are many systems other than GNU systems. I don't understand why some people have such a problem with interoperability, including using JSON etc? It's not like we're running on 333 mhz pentiums anymore. JSON is much easier to standardize and promote interoperability than anything binary or otherwise bespoke, considering how prevalent JSON is. It's not like you're processing 1 billion new tracepoints per second.
    Last edited by AlanTuring69; 04 December 2023, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• spicfoo
    replied

Well if so then I'm glad my opinion was (even then) better and more objective than that of Linus Torvalds, who would have thought. Please stop, I don't deserve any more praise.
    Don't bruise yourself by patting your back too hard :-)

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied

You are missing the point. He used to hold that position before and rejected patches that added a debugger. He has since then changed his mind and accepted the patches and a debugger is part of the kernel.
    Well if so then I'm glad my opinion was (even then) better and more objective than that of Linus Torvalds, who would have thought. Please stop, I don't deserve any more praise.

Leave a comment:

• spicfoo
    replied

I think everybody agrees that debuggers are perfectly reasonable in all cases. I think he (Linus) only meant that using a debugger shouldn't be a must if you're familiar with the project. And yeah, I'm too lazy to google it (but I have a good reason to be lazy).
    You are missing the point. He used to hold that position before and rejected patches that added a debugger. He has since then changed his mind and accepted the patches and a debugger is part of the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied

FYI he changed his mind on that and Linux kernel now includes a debugger

Debuggers are perfectly reasonable and expected to be used on your own projects as well.
    I think everybody agrees that debuggers are perfectly reasonable in all cases. I think he (Linus) only meant that using a debugger shouldn't be a must if you're familiar with the project. And yeah, I'm too lazy to google it (but I have a good reason to be lazy).

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Originally posted by mathletic View Post
    Would be interesting if it works with CMake. As far as I know, Visual Studio is the only software to support debugging CMake.
    Thanks for another awesome GDB release!
    GDB would be the backend for program debugging (ASM/C/C++/etc), CMake has a backend for CMake debugging. What you need is a frontend.
    You can debug CMake with Clion and VScode btw (CMake-Tools plugin).

Leave a comment:

• spicfoo
    replied

I know, though I recall Linus Torvalds saying smth like you should be able fix the bug in your project without a debugger, because if you're familiar with your project you should have a good hunch where the bug is based on its manifestation. Which is why I'm using a debugger when dealing with foreign projects.
    FYI he changed his mind on that and Linux kernel now includes a debugger

Debuggers are perfectly reasonable and expected to be used on your own projects as well.

Leave a comment:

• mb_q
    replied
    This is a perfect example of the success of EEE: GDB itself used to be a standard debug protocol and now we have this JSON monstrosity which is under full control of Microsoft. Now MS can break VSCode, this will move DAP producers from supporting specs to supporting VSCode quirks, and will help with the ultimate goal to make VSCode "the Office of programming". They have already latched on JavaScript, bought GitHub, destroyed Atom, pushed LSP... And all of this produces tons of tracking telemetry to improve GH Copilot.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

It's a critical tool in the coding toolbox, of which there are many but a debugger is perhaps the second most important thing behind the compiler. Using stdout or logs etc is just tracepointing which can be done with a debugger but you can do a ton more. It pays for itself extraordinarily quickly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X