GDB 14.1 Adds Support For DAP - Debugger Adapter Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    I really don't use debuggers enough, I mainly just print to terminal, I should learn them, if lapce lands good debugger support, and supports gdb, ill take the time to learn
    Me too, I thought it's extremely rare.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I'm not averse to Microsoft or any other company at general ..
      I wasn't talking about you personally. I was using you in the generic way.

Comment

Originally posted by mathletic View Post

Don't start with learning GDB. Use KDevelop, Visual Studio, Eclipse or something similar. Once you got used to the concept and the advantages of a debugger, GDB is not much more complicated compared to a UI.
        you also have the option of DDD

Comment

Anyone who has problems with CLion in combination with GDB? Debugging can be very slow.
          There is a bug report which is almost two years old and other IDEs are not affected by this problem.

Meanwhile learning emacs...
          Last edited by Steffo; 03 December 2023, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Don't start with learning GDB. Use KDevelop, Visual Studio, Eclipse or something similar.
            KDevelop is so far behind Qt Creator (at least for C/C++, Python, QML) that such a recommendation can only be based on misconceptions or a lack of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Me too, I thought it's extremely rare.
              It's a critical tool in the coding toolbox, of which there are many but a debugger is perhaps the second most important thing behind the compiler. Using stdout or logs etc is just tracepointing which can be done with a debugger but you can do a ton more. It pays for itself extraordinarily quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

It's a critical tool in the coding toolbox, of which there are many but a debugger is perhaps the second most important thing behind the compiler. Using stdout or logs etc is just tracepointing which can be done with a debugger but you can do a ton more. It pays for itself extraordinarily quickly.
                I know, though I recall Linus Torvalds saying smth like you should be able fix the bug in your project without a debugger, because if you're familiar with your project you should have a good hunch where the bug is based on its manifestation. Which is why I'm using a debugger when dealing with foreign projects.

Comment

This is a perfect example of the success of EEE: GDB itself used to be a standard debug protocol and now we have this JSON monstrosity which is under full control of Microsoft. Now MS can break VSCode, this will move DAP producers from supporting specs to supporting VSCode quirks, and will help with the ultimate goal to make VSCode "the Office of programming". They have already latched on JavaScript, bought GitHub, destroyed Atom, pushed LSP... And all of this produces tons of tracking telemetry to improve GH Copilot.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I know, though I recall Linus Torvalds saying smth like you should be able fix the bug in your project without a debugger, because if you're familiar with your project you should have a good hunch where the bug is based on its manifestation. Which is why I'm using a debugger when dealing with foreign projects.
                    FYI he changed his mind on that and Linux kernel now includes a debugger

Debuggers are perfectly reasonable and expected to be used on your own projects as well.

Comment

Would be interesting if it works with CMake. As far as I know, Visual Studio is the only software to support debugging CMake.
                      Thanks for another awesome GDB release!
                      GDB would be the backend for program debugging (ASM/C/C++/etc), CMake has a backend for CMake debugging. What you need is a frontend.
                      You can debug CMake with Clion and VScode btw (CMake-Tools plugin).

Comment

Working...
                      X