Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cairo 1.18 Released - First Stable Release In Five Years

Phoronix: Cairo 1.18 Released - First Stable Release In Five Years

Cairo 1.18 was released today as the first major stable release to this 2D graphics library in five years. This vector-based graphics library is widely-used for a variety of purposes from GNOME's GTK toolkit to other apps making use of Cairo for targeting different back-ends from PDFs to OpenGL contexts. Mozilla Firefox, WebKit, Mono, and many other open-source projects are notable users of Cairo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have to admit I am glad to see cairo is fading away, and to be honest the same is true for XRender.
    It's trapezoid based approach to geometry proved to a hard nut to crack for rending on GPUs and its widespread adaption slowed down the success of alternative solutions.
    Only in areas where performance is extremly important, like browsers, it was replaced relativly quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
      It's trapezoid based approach to geometry[...]
      Would you care to expand on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Would you care to expand on that?
        Sign me up on this question. Hopefully, he is not going to say that everything should be pixmaps "Reasons, 'cause Wayland!".

Comment

Looking at the GTK blog it seems they're working on some 2D functionality too with paths.

I don't know if they will replace Cairo with this new stuff in GTK or what it is for though.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Looking at the GTK blog it seems they're working on some 2D functionality too with paths.

I don't know if they will replace Cairo with this new stuff in GTK or what it is for though.
            That's all nice and well, but there is the elephant in the room: with Cairo, whether you render on the screen, you print, you generate a PDF or a SVG etc., the application uses the same code to generate the rendering. That's WYSIWYG. These other solutions seem to take us 30 years backwards where apps had to render on screen using one API (xlib) and then have their own postscript renderer for printing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

That's all nice and well, but there is the elephant in the room: with Cairo, whether you render on the screen, you print, you generate a PDF or a SVG etc., the application uses the same code to generate the rendering. That's WYSIWYG. These other solutions seem to take us 30 years backwards where apps had to render on screen using one API (xlib) and then have their own postscript renderer for printing, etc.
              True, but, I think, we (should?) agree that svg/pdf are damn hard things to parse. Of course, it is nice and all to have libraries that do the hard work, but I always dreamed with a less expensive and easier format to query/transform/add/delete objects and properties stored inside the files. Even with current libraries, it is not an easy task, and as so, there are many abstractions pilled upon to make things a bit more reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post

True, but, I think, we (should?) agree that svg/pdf are damn hard things to parse. Of course, it is nice and all to have libraries that do the hard work, but I always dreamed with a less expensive and easier format to query/transform/add/delete objects and properties stored inside the files. Even with current libraries, it is not an easy task, and as so, there are many abstractions pilled upon to make things a bit more reasonable.
                It's not about parsing. PDF, paper print etc. are not storage formats, they are final release formats. With Cairo, your app renders the doc on screen as you work on it,and then you can print it or export as PDF and it will look identical, because it will be generated by the very same code. The last thing I want to see is going back to separate export code, different from the rendering code, with different geometry, different bugs and different handling of various corner cases.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It's not about parsing. PDF, paper print etc. are not storage formats, they are final release formats. With Cairo, your app renders the doc on screen as you work on it,and then you can print it or export as PDF and it will look identical, because it will be generated by the very same code. The last thing I want to see is going back to separate export code, different from the rendering code, with different geometry, different bugs and different handling of various corner cases.
                  Actually, it is about parsing if you are interested to have "smart"/customizing icon themes, or dynamic wallpapers or presentations and things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post

Actually, it is about parsing if you are interested to have "smart"/customizing icon themes, or dynamic wallpapers or presentations and things like that.
                    That's not my point. I'm NOT talking about software to create assets to be used by other software. I'm talking about documents. NOT editable documents, final versions of documents that you print on paper (or as a static immutable PDF).

Comment

Working...
                    X