Python 3.12 Now Under Feature Freeze With Beta 1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynic View Post
    my collegues writing python spends 10% of their time writing code and the remaining 90% trying to deploy in production.

seriously, this language is a nightmare.

let's learn Go instead.
    Surely it is not the best language, also is not the fastest but at least is the one that never breaks.
    Ah yes, except that in 100% (yes, 100%) cases of me trying to grab a random Go project from GitHub I have been unable to get it to compile because Go build system changes in a totally different, unique and backwards-incompatible way pretty much each year

Python may be bad, but please do the world a favor, don't suggest Go as an alternative. That language gets my perennial "moron language #1" award.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      To be fair: rust is probably not the only language with a similar properties, however probably the most widespread one.
      ...but if two of the properties you want are "large and growing ecosystem of libraries" and "No garbage collector and libraries to help you easily and memory-safely expose bindings for a variety of other languages", then it very well might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Point?

I'm fucking sick of trying to compile something and it fails because it can't run the dumbass python script used for building some bullshit. And why it fails? Oh, because i updated my Python, so I have to keep 3.4, 3.9 and 3.11 versions around, because of retarded monkeys who drop backwards compatibility.
        Point is why do you expect others maintaining crap for ever just because a very small subset of non paying users may want to use years after iis obsolete?

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Ah yes, except that in 100% (yes, 100%) cases of me trying to grab a random Go project from GitHub I have been unable to get it to compile because Go build system changes in a totally different, unique and backwards-incompatible way pretty much each year

Python may be bad, but please do the world a favor, don't suggest Go as an alternative. That language gets my perennial "moron language #1" award.
          Ah, I see: the famous "go build system".
          beside the fact that there is no such a thing like a "go build system", you can literally build 2009 Go code today with the latest compiler version without changing a single line of code.

The only significant change it occured is the introduction of modules, and it didn't break the backward compatibility

Comment

I disagree with that.

sometimes in Python you THINK you got from A to B.
            ...then you find yourself debugging your code in production for the next 6 months because obscure bugs continue to pop out.

in Rust when you think you got from A to B, more or less you got it.
            Seems to me you're either a crap developer or are using untrustworthy libraries.
            You should have no warnings or errors before something reaches production; that's just a given. You should not update your libraries unless you know what the changes are. I have written stuff in Python from 10 years ago that still runs today without code modifications, even as newer versions of Python and libraries have been updated. These aren't just a couple hundred lines of code either, it gets into the thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Seems to me you're either a crap developer or are using untrustworthy libraries.
              You should have no warnings or errors before something reaches production; that's just a given. You should not update your libraries unless you know what the changes are. I have written stuff in Python from 10 years ago that still runs today without code modifications, even as newer versions of Python and libraries have been updated. These aren't just a couple hundred lines of code either, it gets into the thousands.
              oh, you can bet that I'm a crap developer, and that's exactly the reason why I want a compiler that verify the bs I write and warns me before my code goes on production.

I bet you never make mistakes and always have plenty of time to spend reviewing your code. Good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                • Ditch the vanity Python license and adopt something like the MIT License or the 2-clause BSD License so it can easily legally be integrated as a scripting language for games and applications.
                There's a third party interpreter which aims to make this easier and is MIT licensed https://github.com/blueloveTH/pocketpy

Comment

oh, you can bet that I'm a crap developer, and that's exactly the reason why I want a compiler that verify the bs I write and warns me before my code goes on production.

I bet you never make mistakes and always have plenty of time to spend reviewing your code. Good for you.
                  Of course I make mistakes, regularly. I sometimes even make mistakes where the program isn't yielding the desired outcome. The difference is, I don't publish code-breaking mistakes, because most modern languages (including Python) make it pretty easy to avoid them.

Comment

Working...
                  X