Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PXP 0.0.1 Released For What Aims To Become A Superset Of PHP

Phoronix: PXP 0.0.1 Released For What Aims To Become A Superset Of PHP

The PXP project has been an interesting language effort in recent times that aims to become a superset of PHP with additional syntax options and greater run-time capabilities. PXP 0.0.1 was released yesterday as the first very early, pre-production release for this open-source project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've never really looked at PHP/PXP before so the Bash/ZSH user in me can't get over $foo = bar.

That's not how this works.
    That's not how any of this works.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I've never really looked at PHP/PXP before so the Bash/ZSH user in me can't get over $foo = bar.

It's the same in Perl. I think it was Perl that started this scripting language trend of always putting the $ before variable names (well, scalar variables anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Having spent a ton of time developing in PHP for many years... I can confirm it sucks. That "$" syntax was something I just could never get used to! The language and associated libraries are also severely inconsistent. I have some legacy projects in PHP that still have to be maintained and I dread every time I have to approach them!

Comment

I don't think there is much interest in a superset of PHP.
          I think it would be better to improve the current PHP language such as by adding support for generics.

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Having spent a ton of time developing in PHP for many years... I can confirm it sucks. That "$" syntax was something I just could never get used to! The language and associated libraries are also severely inconsistent. I have some legacy projects in PHP that still have to be maintained and I dread every time I have to approach them!
          I don't mind the $, it doesn't bother me, it's just part of the PHP legacy, its not a big thing.
          Yeah the library is inconsistent, which sucks, and there also many things in the global namespace.

I don't code in PHP these days, but looking at how the language has evolved it has improved greatly and is much more reliable now with much saner configuration, warnings promoted to errors, typing, strict type checking, etc. PHP isn't that bad, it's alright. The WordPress is a pain to code in though because it has so much old legacy stuff and doesn't use anything modern.

Comment

uid313 Yah, I moved over to Python as the back end of choice. Nothing is perfect though... Python has some really nice things... initially... that come back to haunt you as the project grows if your not careful, but its way easier to read and make sense of I find.

Comment

Open site. Read this:

Your PXP code gets transpiled into vanilla PHP ahead-of-time much like tooling found in the JavaScript ecosystem.
              Close site.

Comment

I bet PXP stands for “PXP: eXtended PHP”

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post
                  I bet PXP stands for “PXP: eXtended PHP”
                  Pretty eXploitable PHP
                  Last edited by Jakobson; 16 May 2023, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I don't get this, really don't.

I used to code a lot in php in the symfony 3 days, I still have to code review a lot of php/symfony. The language has made staggering improvements in both functionality and performance, which is epic.

Symfony is as incredibly powerful as ever and equally baffling/not user friendly. Well it is basically a framework to define your own project framework so I guess that's expected.

Back to the point. In such a rapidly evolving language why bother with a superset... Like I mean Hacklang?

Comment

Working...
                    X