Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Announces Mozilla.ai For "Trustworthy AI"

Phoronix: Mozilla Announces Mozilla.ai For "Trustworthy AI"

Mozilla announced today they are investing $30 million USD to build Mozilla.ai as a new start-up focused on "building a trustworthy, independent, and open-source AI ecosystem."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

$30 million
    What a waste. That money could've been spent on CEO bonuses.

Comment

Mozilla announced today they are investing $30 million USD to build Mozilla.ai as a new start-up focused on "building a trustworthy, independent, and open-source AI ecosystem
      Is it just me, or does anyone else think AI can never be completely trustworthy? I mean there is so much unrealiable / false information out there. How does one even verify if the information which the Ai trains on is reliable?

Comment

After they booted Brendan Eich for questionable reasons and put a lawyer in the CEO position (Baker) Mozilla is going to shit.

Every good thing that Mozilla did in terms of performance was planned when Eich was onboard. Mitchel Baker seems to care more about preaching BS (fake Activism), laying off critical people and pocket 3 million/yr.

Mozilla is not a fake EFF, Mozilla is the developer of the only browser that is the only thing that impedes absolute Chromium domination.
        Last edited by evasb; 22 March 2023, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          Is it just me, or does anyone else think AI can never be completely trustworthy? I mean there is so much unrealiable / false information out there. How does one even verify if the information which the Ai trains on is reliable?
          After they spend 30 mil. that people provided in the vain of "make Firefox great again" into some random AI project that surley does everything better than any of the other thousands of AI projects, how could this even go wrong?
          If some stupid pocket stuff that you can't easily get rid off doesn't improve Firefox, this AI surley will!

My takeaway from this is I need to go to further lengths in the future to remove a stupid AI feature that no one asked for in Firefox. Maybe it's actually time to switch to a fork.

Comment

I don't think about making AI trustworthy, more like getting tools to verify the AI outsourcing. Something that checks the reliability and integrity of said AI and it's information output. In other words, making AI trustworthy to use in regards to the tools to make it "trustworthy".

Comment

You might want to take the AI out of it if you want it to be trustworthy.. Seems oxymoronic with current tech level.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                After they spend 30 mil. that people provided in the vain of "make Firefox great again" into some random AI project that surley does everything better than any of the other thousands of AI projects, how could this even go wrong?
                If some stupid pocket stuff that you can't easily get rid off doesn't improve Firefox, this AI surley will!

My takeaway from this is I need to go to further lengths in the future to remove a stupid AI feature that no one asked for in Firefox. Maybe it's actually time to switch to a fork.
                Even though I still like Firefox mainly for its unrivaled configurability via about:config, I recently ditched it after 2 years of using it as my main browser because I just couldn't handle the recent additions of unconfigurable annoying features that no one asked for in every major update, like the unmovable extension button.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post

Pocket wouldn't piss me off so much if it didn't give me so many paywall providers or offered ways to remove them. I get wanting to get a profit, but their way is annoying as shit.

Someone at Mozilla: Here's a what will appear to be a nifty feature, but it'll only work 5% of the month before the user hits paywalls, be always on, and it will have minimal configuration options to make it suck less.

Someone Else at Mozilla: Sounds Great! Approved.

Who the hell thought that up and who the hell thought that was a good idea? Perhaps AI will help fix dumb people approving dumb features.

They'd have been better off paying me $60K to create accounts all over the internet that talk about how great Firefox is, create (regurgitate) tutorials on how to enable neat about:config stuff, and post memes about why other browsers suck so you should use Firefox.

You can always go to the Edge.

But it's depressing so you might jump.

And it's a gif of IE jumping off a cliff.

(don't let anybody know about suicidal foxes that float out to sea)

Comment

Even though I still like Firefox mainly for its unrivaled configurability via about:config, I recently ditched it after 2 years of using it as my main browser because I just couldn't handle the recent additions of unconfigurable annoying features that no one asked for in every major update, like the unmovable extension button.
                    You named it! I mean is this so hard to see for a CEO? Firefox became the most used browser (you had to install yourself) of the world because it had good performance, respected your privacy and had the best plugin support and configurability. That lead to many enthusiasts using it and recommending it. As soon as they started to shove up useless features and broke compatibility with plugins every 5 years the enthusiasts were driven away and took the rest of the users that diddn't already abondon ship with them. Sure Googles "marketing" had also to do with it, but no one that is really happy with a product will change to another worse one.

Now Chrome is actually better in some points and it's really hard to gain the trust back that Mozilla lost over those years. When they started Rust I was really enthusiastic that they concentrate on making FF better but that never had any impact and all the other chases after the newest shit just made it worse. Now everyone hypes AI and who can't stand but follow the hype again?
                    Because of this I stopped supporting Mozilla with money, they just throw it away for useless shit!

Man I'm much to angry, need to chill a bit and become more zen again.

Comment

Working...
                    X