Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenJDK Java 20 Released With Latest Vector API, Scoped Values

Phoronix: OpenJDK Java 20 Released With Latest Vector API, Scoped Values

Promoted to general availability (GA) status today is the OpenJDK Java 20 update with a number of new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

easy-to-use, comprehensible, robust, and performant
    Ah yes, the four words that immediately come to mind when I think of Java.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
      let me guess: you probably have never programmed in java a single day of your life (or, more probably, you've never programmed at all)

Comment

Java is not a perfect language, but not bad at all. It has inspired other languages and many languages run on its universal VM.
        Compared to C++, you get very fast results and with the Java SDK, you can also create GUIs. I sometimes miss this language.

Comment

No Wayland support yet?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Java is not a perfect language, but not bad at all. It has inspired other languages and many languages run on its universal VM.
            Compared to C++, you get very fast results and with the Java SDK, you can also create GUIs. I sometimes miss this language.
            Basically everyone uses JS and TS these days. Instead of GUIs we have web. Launch speed matters. That's why Python interpreter is a lot faster than Java jit.

Comment

Java would be even better if Oracle wasnt hiding all their optimizations inside Graal EE 😢

Same goes for the Azul Prime VM. Cached LLVM compilation is exactly what it needs.
              Last edited by brucethemoose; 21 March 2023, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

let me guess: you probably have never programmed in java a single day of your life (or, more probably, you've never programmed at all)
                Try again. I've been using Java for over ten years at this point. It's both my first and most experienced language. What about you?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Java was never particularly strong in GUIs. It was possible make portable GUIs work but usually it was extra effort compared to other languages. More with Swing replaced by JFX (or whatever the name) and later JFX moved out the JDK. It doesn't matter today anyway because everything is Web UIs these days.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

I've been with Java since the beginning and there's no denying it's falling behind on every front. Language features? Kotlin and Scala are ahead and that's just JVM languages. Speed of development? It's all-out OOP, thus not good fit for a lot of projects. Code speed? It needs AOT yesterday, yet native image is still marked as experimental. Fit for cloud or IoT? It's got a huuuge runtime, so no.
                    In spite of all that, it's rather easy to learn and it has a huge ecosystem built around it, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X