Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PyTorch 2.0 Now Shipping With Better CPU & GPU Performance

Phoronix: PyTorch 2.0 Now Shipping With Better CPU & GPU Performance

Following the PyTorch Foundation talking up PyTorch 2.0 since the end of last year, today marks the PyTorch 2.0 release officially shipping. PyTorch 2.0 has significant optimizations to "supercharge" it with better performance for both CPU and GPU modes of operation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just can't take anything seriously that uses python as a base, even if the gpu and whatever obviously isn't running python. It's like the world has been overrun by this "teach every man woman and child to code" mindset, but then all you end up with is a bunch of rubes making dumb garbage in toy languages. Has anything really been gained?

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
      I just can't take anything seriously that uses python as a base, even if the gpu and whatever obviously isn't running python. It's like the world has been overrun by this "teach every man woman and child to code" mindset, but then all you end up with is a bunch of rubes making dumb garbage in toy languages. Has anything really been gained?
      What's been gained by using python as a base?

Every single application written that uses python as a base for starters and that's an awful lot of things, I'll let you tell the astronomical community their Astropy is dumb garbage.

Comment

It should be OpenAI Triton, not OpenATI Triton.
        When I saw ATI in the name I got super excited...

Comment

What a wise comment. IQ 7000.

Comment

Any news about a stable Vulkan binary installer or do we still need to build it ourselves with "USE_VULKAN=1​".

Comment

Not false. Although it's good in prototyping.

Comment

Its a good orchestration language. I think its perfect for Blender and VapourSynth.

PyTorch kinda blurs that line though, as sometimes enough "work" is done within Python that it does drag down performance or starts creating hard to find bugs, hence their current and previous efforts to mitigate it.

Comment

I just can't take anything seriously that uses python as a base, even if the gpu and whatever obviously isn't running python.
                  My knowledge is a bit dated, but when I built it into a product (circa the 1.0 release), we used the underlying torch/caffe2 framework that was 100% C++. At that point in time, Python was just the outer layer.

all you end up with is a bunch of rubes making dumb garbage in toy languages. Has anything really been gained?
                  I think it's good for what it is. The JIT-compilation work that's been happening seems promising.

You just don't want it to be the only tool at your disposal. Even if it is, it's pretty competent. No, you can't write an OS in Python, but it's got a lot of powerful features that can do a lot, in the right hands.

My main beef with Python is actually how complex it's gotten, compared to when I first picked it up. I guess that's not the worst complaint one could have.

Comment

So ChatGPT that's based on GPT-3.5 and now the new followup in GPT-4 are dumb garbage? Okay....
                    Have a look on the demo here, it's able to generate a working website out of some sketches with pen & paper and some written requirements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=outcGtbnMuQ

It's a mighty impressive tool. Hardly garbage.

Comment

Working...
                    X