Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Qt Group Launches Qt Insight

Phoronix: The Qt Group Launches Qt Insight

The Qt Group as the company behind the Qt open-source toolkit has launched Qt Insight as their newest software offering. However, Qt Insight does not appear to be open-source and is marketed as a SaaS product...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rather miffed at this fallacy of spying on users to get "usage data". Just test your software yourself, it's called dogfooding. You shouldn't need to send data about my every mouse click to make common sense decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      Rather miffed at this fallacy of spying on users to get "usage data". Just test your software yourself, it's called dogfooding. You shouldn't need to send data about my every mouse click to make common sense decisions.
      You can't find out how actual users interact with your software by testing whether it works yourself. Furthermore, you can't test all possible situations yourself (for example, Mozilla crash reports regularly uncover hardware bugs, which obviously cannot be detected by testing if you don't own the affected hardware).

I am not advocating for sending data about every mouse click, but low-frequency sending of information about how often certain features are used can be very valuable, and should be fine if it's either opt-in or a prominently visible (!) opt-out.

Comment

SaaS is the Devil.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

You can't find out how actual users interact with your software by testing whether it works yourself. Furthermore, you can't test all possible situations yourself (for example, Mozilla crash reports regularly uncover hardware bugs, which obviously cannot be detected by testing if you don't own the affected hardware).

I am not advocating for sending data about every mouse click, but low-frequency sending of information about how often certain features are used can be very valuable, and should be fine if it's either opt-in or a prominently visible (!) opt-out.
          Yeah, even my paranoid ass turns on KDE telemetry.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            SaaS is the Devil.
            Amen ....

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
              But you get then only the feedback of your tester but never how real user interact. An other useful feature is collecting data about errors which do not lead to crashes. I can easily catch an exception and don't let crash the program but I do not because I never get the feedback from the crash handler about the origin of this error which I want to fix.

Comment

This QT stuff gets more and more ridiculous with every release. Im just waiting for Microsoft switching to it as standard framework because it's better for mass surveillance.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Yeah, even my paranoid ass turns on KDE telemetry.
                Here is the armless, legless wonder of the twentieth century.

Damn your ass is a multi talent, what does it need you for?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                  This QT stuff gets more and more ridiculous with every release. Im just waiting for Microsoft switching to it as standard framework because it's better for mass surveillance.

Here is the armless, legless wonder of the twentieth century.

Damn your ass is a multi talent, what does it need you for?
                  You're a genderless anus. You know

Comment

Free and open source software - now with free surveillance built-in. Only the analysis is not free.

Comment

Working...
                    X