Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSSL 3.1 Released With Performance Optimizations, More AVX-512

Phoronix: OpenSSL 3.1 Released With Performance Optimizations, More AVX-512

OpenSSL 3.1 is out today as the new stable release for this widely-used cryptographic library. There are a number of performance optimizations to enjoy with OpenSSL 3.1, including some additional AVX-512 tuning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

michael - could you test a tiger lake cpu also?

Comment

Originally posted by spiral_23 View Post
      michael - could you test a tiger lake cpu also?
      can find some Tigerlake benchmarks of tests I've done so far (and past) @ https://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/openssl#results
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
        My concern about performance optimisations is whether they increase the availability of side-channel attacks.
        as long as the code is constant-time, making it faster actually decreases the availability of side-channel attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

as long as the code is constant-time, making it faster actually decreases the availability of side-channel attacks.
          Unfortunately, this is not true.

Hertzbleed: Turning Power Side-Channel Attacks Into Remote Timing Attacks on x86​

Of course, constant-time code is a a good thing: but I get worried when people talk about performance optimisations, as that often means run-time reductions, and assuring that any particular optimisation maintains the constant-time property is not necessarily what the naive optimiser will be doing. On the other hand, I would hope naive coders are not working on OpenSSL.

Comment

Unfortunately, this is not true.
            no, it definitely is true. the less time the CPU spends running code that deals with sensitive data, the less time there is for an attacker to exploit any side channels.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

no, it definitely is true. the less time the CPU spends running code that deals with sensitive data, the less time there is for an attacker to exploit any side channels.
              That is trivially true, and not addressing the point I made. Constant-time code can still have side-channels.

Comment

That is trivially true, and not addressing the point I made. Constant-time code can still have side-channels.
                Stream En-/Decryption shouldn't have anything exploitable by sidechannels - the later depend on some branches or access-patterns to sniff out. Those are fixed, the entire control flow could be unrolled in advance.

Comment

you didn't make any point. of course constant-time code can have side channels, which is why faster constant-time code makes it more difficult to exploit side channels. if there were no side channels, the code being faster would have no effect on side channels.

Comment

Working...
                  X