Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby Lands New "RJIT" Just-In-Time Compiler

Phoronix: Ruby Lands New "RJIT" Just-In-Time Compiler

Back in 2021 Ruby merged the YJIT just-in-time compiler that last year with Ruby 3.2 was deemed production grade. There's also been the MJIT compiler that relies upon an external C compiler. And now landing this week in Ruby is RJIT as the newest just-in-time effort...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really dislike Ruby. I really dislike the syntax. I much prefer Python or just about any other language with the exception of COBOL, Fortran and Brainfuck.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I really dislike Ruby. I really dislike the syntax. I much prefer Python or just about any other language with the exception of COBOL, Fortran and Brainfuck.
      Oh, then you may prefer Malbolge over Ruby. Interesting.

Comment

When your language is too slow, so you JIT it, but you write the JIT in that same language.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
          When your language is too slow, so you JIT it, but you write the JIT in that same language.
          That's true for many languages including Java that has used a JIT because it's about a change in strategy for additional performance which doesn't require a different language.

Comment

Funny, I really love Ruby. Especially it's syntax. Can't get used to Python, it's so ugly. But did move from Ruby to C# (also similar nice method naming) and am now on Kotlin for Android dev work. Ah yeah, everybody his own preference.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

That's true for many languages including Java that has used a JIT because it's about a change in strategy for additional performance which doesn't require a different language.
              Are you sure? The JIT is part of HotSpot, AFAIR. And this is written in C++ (and Assembly).

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                The language a JIT is written in has no effect on the speed of the code it outputs. Doing it in the same language makes tooling easier.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

Are you sure? The JIT is part of HotSpot, AFAIR. And this is written in C++ (and Assembly).
                  There are half a dozen implementations now. Hotspot is an earlier iteration from Sun. I was referring to the latest one that Oracle wrote - GraalVM, which is written in Java.

Comment

I still dislike ruby, but it was really that I was tired of all the sigils from my perl coding days, and really appreciated how few python had, along with the nice whitespace and freedom from '{' '}'. but with modern python decorators & typing, you will now see lots of ':' '@' '|' and abominations like '-> Dict[str|int,Any]' which eliminates a lot of the charm simple python had.

Comment

Working...
                    X