Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd 1.5.4 Released With Many Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Zstd 1.5.4 Released With Many Performance Improvements

After being in development for nearly one year , Zstd 1.5.4 has been released with many "significant performance improvements across multiple scenarios" for this increasingly-used data compression algorithm...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When will it land in the mainline kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      I can't see anything submitted yet but this comment implies they plan to submit 1.5.4 for the next kernel. As the 6.3 merge window hasn't opened, perhaps we'll be lucky enough to see it merged for then.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Anything you're missing? Afaik, the current version does most jobs more than good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Anything you're missing? Afaik, the current version does most jobs more than good enough?
          Performance improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Embedded systems with transparent disk compression would benefit significantly from this.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
              Performance improvements.
              Looks like almost all of it is for stupid Macs.

Comment

Zstd has been one of my favorite software projects already since the alpha releases and it keeps getting better.
                Compression speeds near the Pareto frontier, fast decompression, simple use of dictionaries, dictionary builders, long match mode, suitable for creating binary diffs... some things are just so much easier when you get to use a good library.

Comment

Hardware accelerated ZSTD ZRAM would be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Looks like almost all of it is for stupid Macs.
                    I'm on the page and I see big improvements demonstrated on i-7's and Xeons. Their lack of inclusion of Qualcomm, Broadcom, and other ARM processors doesn't mean those didn't also improve a lot. https://github.com/facebook/zstd/releases/tag/v1.5.4

Comment

Working...
                    X