Google To Allow Rust Code In The Chromium Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

This tired myth must die already. No, modern C++ is nowhere as memory safe as Rust, in fact it can't be considered memory safe at all although it's somewhat safer than old C++ (but not really by all that much).
    It's not a myth even if Rust fanboys keep saying that. Truth is, you can write unsafe code in Rust as well. You have to, when interfacing with C code.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
      On a serious note, the importance of Rust to the backbone of the modern web can no longer be neglected.
      Oh it can, it's not a good thing but it can, because Firefox with Rust lost market share big time to Chrome without Rust, so that alone tells you there are far more important things at play. (unless you didn't mean market share but something technical)

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

So is Vivaldi..
        That everything and the kitchen sink glue of hot mess?

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

That everything and the kitchen sink glue of hot mess?
          Don't really understand what you mean, but to me it's a great browser with many excellent unique features and excellent customizability.

If you perceive all these unique features as a "hot mess", you can disable them and make Vivaldi as minimalistic as possible thanks to its customizability.

Comment

Anybody who has made a 20 year investment deciphering the archeological Byzantium that is C++, can be forgiven for getting hostile as the empire, and their sage status within it, starts falling to the better-equipped, highly motivated, Rust barbarians.
            Last edited by vegabook; 13 January 2023, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

Your opinion is noted, but ungoogled chromium is far from spyware.
              Where is the spyware in stock Google Chrome anyway? There is nothing wrong with tracking my data and syncing it throughout my devices.​ Even the personalized ads are not bad. After a week of looking for cheaper chemicals for our factory, I suddenly saw an ad for a European company that agreed to provide us with the same materials at $30,000 savings a week over the current supplier. Even the usage data they collect is harmless for us. It's not feasible for Google to even look at your data without some higher level abstraction and reporting tools that neglect anything personally identifying.
              You are free to use crippled or minimalist browsers if your needs are met. But, don't refer to what other people see as productivity features as spyware.
              Last edited by ClosedSource; 13 January 2023, 06:02 AM. Reason: month should be week.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

Where is the spyware in stock Google Chrome anyway? There is nothing wrong with tracking my data and syncing it throughout my devices.​ Even the personalized ads are not bad. After a week of looking for cheaper chemicals for our factory, I suddenly saw an ad for a European company that agreed to provide us with the same materials at $30,000 savings a week over the current supplier. Even the usage data they collect is harmless for us. It's not feasible for Google to even look at your data without some higher level abstraction and reporting tools that neglect anything personally identifying.
                You are free to use crippled or minimalist browsers if your needs are met. But, don't refer to what other people see as productivity features as spyware.
                So constantly leaking potentially confidential company information is great - because you received advertisements based on and processed of your companies internal data? Maybe I misunderstood

Also isn't this what is some peoples get paid for, to find the matching supplier? If an ad can do it, I'd fire them instantly and safe their wages; these people also pose a security risk by neglecting security and passively/actively leaking internal corporate informations.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

Well, the thing is, there are some cases when people got fired (or other bad things happened to people) because of Google leaking the collected data about them. And when someone says "I got nothing to hide", he's lying to himself. We all got something to hide. It's just not everyone realizes that.

Comment

Only 5% readable HTML code that is proprietary with the rest 95% open source is proprietary garbage.. yeah of course. Why is it that so many in the open source community have these brain dead opinions about Vivaldi? When its founder is also one of the most vocal privacy advocates?
                    ...because open-source people want stuff to be open-source? It's like asking why does anime fans like waifu and husbando. It just comes with the territory. Open-source people like open-source stuff, and don't like the opposite, naturally.

While I don't think it's that big of a deal, I do think that it's fair for people who cares about open-source to not like it and don't trust it because of that proprietary portion.

Comment

Well, the thing is, there are some cases when people got fired (or other bad things happened to people) because of Google leaking the collected data about them. And when someone says "I got nothing to hide", he's lying to himself. We all got something to hide. It's just not everyone realizes that.
                      offtopic I guess. Health issues that's fine to hide, probably 50% of the population, but what about the other half, the healthy ones, what are they hiding if you live in the EU/US? It's not like gays are being persecuted..?

Comment

Working...
                      X