Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Developer Hopes To Restore GCC's Java Front-End

Phoronix: A Developer Hopes To Restore GCC's Java Front-End

Following GCC Rust being merged and the Modula-2 front-end, a developer hopes to restore the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) Java front-end, GCJ...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good just hope to see if gcj will compete with graal vm and native image

Comment

I could maybe, *maybe* see this being useful for bootstrapping openjdk, but heh... java.

Comment

Bad idea, they need to not make reference to Java, JVM, or JDK. They can do whatever they want there are other implementations who have not paid for a TCK license, but they made sure to leave those names out.

Comment

I'm actually surprised and happy to hear about this! Hope it works out

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
            I'm actually surprised and happy to hear about this! Hope it works out
            Fwiw, many of the old gcj compiled programs weren't compatible with openjdk. Also the performance was crap. The only advantage here is that gcj is able to compile faster than native image.

Comment

And after gcj, reactivate DotGnu (https://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/).

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
                good just hope to see if gcj will compete with graal vm and native image
                I was about to say that GraalVM has already filled this niche, but having competition could not hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
                  And after gcj, reactivate DotGnu (https://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/).
                  What about Apache Harmony?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonjolt View Post
                    Bad idea, they need to not make reference to Java, JVM, or JDK. They can do whatever they want there are other implementations who have not paid for a TCK license, but they made sure to leave those names out.
                    The extent to which Oracle has been able to abuse the legal system over Java has been ridiculous. Google was able to protect itself from the nonsense by dropping Apache Harmony for OpenJDK, but it should not have had to do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X