Meson 1.0 Build System Nears With Stable Rust Module, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meson 1.0 Build System Nears With Stable Rust Module, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Meson 1.0 Build System Nears With Stable Rust Module, Other Improvements

The Meson build system continues enjoying terrific developer adoption and that's even prior to declaring a "1.0" version. However, that's about to change with Meson 1.0-rc1 having now been issued for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meson is a replacement to Autotools and an alternative to CMake, I have never seen a project moved from CMake to Meson.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
      I have never seen a project moved from CMake to Meson.
      I thought I had. A couple years ago, some large project like Mesa switched to Meson, after initially switching to CMake. Maybe the CMake transition wasn't completed?

I just had a look at the Meson site, and their performance comparison shows no significant speed advantage over CMake.

I'm a little disappointed that Meson is another buildsystem generator, rather than a full Make-replacement. A lot of what I dislike about CMake is related to this fact. That's not to say I dislike CMake, but it does have its downsides that you'll tend to hit in a sufficiently complex project.

Comment

I recently ported libarchive's cmake build to meson. meson's has_function() is way faster than cmake's for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          Meson is a replacement to Autotools and an alternative to CMake, I have never seen a project moved from CMake to Meson.
          There is no sense in moving from CMake to Meson or from Meson to CMake for many people. Both can use ninja for parallel compilation.
          I can see a benefit from not needing to use autoconf.

Comment

Did anybody do the switch from cmake to something like bazel?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              Did anybody do the switch from cmake to something like bazel?
              Apparently `bazel` is a nightmare when you leave the x86_64 architecture ... a colleague of mine is getting crazy at trying to compile some open-source deep-learning software on IBM power9 with it. Neither `cmake` nor `meson` showed issues on power9.

Comment

You can pry CMake from my cold dead hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
                  I recently ported libarchive's cmake build to meson. meson's has_function() is way faster than cmake's for some reason.
                  The used generator makes a huge difference how fast
                  Code:
                  try_compile
                  's are executed. The default
                  Code:
                  Unix Makefiles
                  is really slow in comparison to (surprise)
                  Code:
                  Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by maarten View Post

The used generator makes a huge difference how fast
                    Code:
                    try_compile
                    's are executed. The default
                    Code:
                    Unix Makefiles
                    is really slow in comparison to (surprise)
                    Code:
                    Ninja
                    I'm using Ninja. Still slow.

Comment

Working...
                    X