Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    looks like clang and gcc need some zen4 tuning. A bit unfair comparison at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by saladin View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately you're right. But with all the work that companies put into their closed-source forks (icx, aocc, forks targeting various mcus), it's a shame that we lose out on the benefits of their work.
    The majority of what they work on is pushed back upstream. What you said is a common false belief.

​The whole reason at LLVM exists is to _not_ be under the GPL, and upstream LLVM is a wonderful collection of software, but in a perfect world it could be more.
    We don't live in a perfect dream world.

Leave a comment:

• saladin
    replied
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post

No thanks. and it wouldn't be where it was if it was.
    Yeah, unfortunately you're right. But with all the work that companies put into their closed-source forks (icx, aocc, forks targeting various mcus), it's a shame that we lose out on the benefits of their work.

The whole reason at LLVM exists is to _not_ be under the GPL, and upstream LLVM is a wonderful collection of software, but in a perfect world it could be more.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Sometimes I think it's a shame that LLVM isn't GPL.
    No thanks. and it wouldn't be where it was if it was.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    imagine you spend your precious time on a compiler that nobody is interested in or uses. Does it really make a sound?
    ..I was looking forward to this release since half a year. 4% overall gain are still 4%.
    Imagine you have bought a serverfarm for a couple of k$ and now you got a "discount" of roughly 4%.

I would also like to see how it performs on older Zens in comparision to AOCC 3.1

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    imagine you spend your precious time on a compiler that nobody is interested in or uses. Does it really make a sound?
    Only when Pipewire compiles

Leave a comment:

• sdack
    replied
    What are you on about? All three compilers have large interest groups. You only may not notice them, because your ego is blocking out the sun.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sdack
    replied
    I am glad LLVM/Clang is looking stronger than GCC. I hope they can keep showing that their newer compiler design brings measurable benefits with regular consistency. πŸ‘πŸ‘

Leave a comment:

• saladin
    replied
    What's with the performance regressions in both LLVM 15 and GCC 13? I suppose it's within the margin of error, but this seems unexpected.

Anyway, I hope AMD gets these patches into upstream LLVM soon enough, and whatever fits into GCC too. Sometimes I think it's a shame that LLVM isn't GPL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X