Intel's Open-Source Arc Graphics Driver Not Yet Working On POWER Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Open-Source Arc Graphics Driver Not Yet Working On POWER Hardware

Phoronix: Intel's Open-Source Arc Graphics Driver Not Yet Working On POWER Hardware

Besides open-source drivers being loved by Linux enthusiasts for the greater technical clarity/insight, better security with the ability to verify the driver's behavior, and better durability of the driver over the longer-term, another common open-source driver benefit is being able to get the drivers working on other CPU architectures not otherwise a focus by the upstream hardware vendor. With Intel's open-source graphics driver stack for Arc Graphics and also in the data center with the Data Center GPU Flex Series and forthcoming Ponte Vecchio, it's drawn interest from ARM, RISC-V, and POWER folks. Unfortunately at least in the case of the POWER9 hardware, the current Intel Linux graphics driver isn't yet building properly there...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-...phics-No-POWER

Does POWER 9 even have (re)BAR support? If not, that's pretty much wasted money anyway.

Comment

> Does POWER 9 even have (re)BAR support? If not, that's pretty much wasted money anyway.

Not really, low end cards make pretty good av1 decoders for their price.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

By the way, I'm glad I didn't buy one for my Power 9 Talos 2. I was waiting for SR-IOV confirmation but this is way worse news..
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

if more share, like and subscribe I can look into that, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4-_a_3BKg ;-)

Comment

I assume this is a similar situation how certain GPUs can't run on ARM either.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I assume this is a similar situation how certain GPUs can't run on ARM either.
              In this case, the driver just doesn't build on non-x86. In the case of ARM, or other non-x86 platforms, the PCI implementation is often either not PCI spec compliant or there are some platform limitations which make supporting a GPU really hard if not impossible. For example, lots of PCI implementations on non-x86 do not support cache coherency with the CPU which is required by the PCI spec. Additionally, some platforms require aligned accesses to MMIO space which doesn't work when most graphics APIs allow direct CPU access to GPU buffers in on-device memory.

Comment

Isn't this a lost cause anyways? Barely anyone uses POWER because well, why would you in the consumer space.

Do any of the most used drivers in Mesa work on POWER? RADV? Iris? RadeonSI?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  > Does POWER 9 even have (re)BAR support? If not, that's pretty much wasted money anyway.

Not really, low end cards make pretty good av1 decoders for their price.
                  Not if it's constantly stuttering because one of the hardware requirements is missing. Currently, it seems if you don't have BAR support then these cards can't deliver consistent output. This might be able to be worked around in the driver, but I wouldn't pay the money to find out. (Obviously that's just me, others may not have any qualms about dropping $350 (incl shipping/taxes) and finding out it's impossible to work around that limitation (assuming POWER 9 doesn't have an equivilent).

Edit to add: I'd guess that if someone has the money to outright by a Talos workstation, $350 hardware gamble might not phase them if they're a dedicated hardware hacker. (I would love to be in that situation myself! I love tickling hardware like that!)
                  Last edited by stormcrow; 03 November 2022, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Not if it's constantly stuttering because one of the hardware requirements is missing. Currently, it seems if you don't have BAR support then these cards can't deliver consistent output. This might be able to be worked around in the driver, but I wouldn't pay the money to find out. (Obviously that's just me, others may not have any qualms about dropping $350 (incl shipping/taxes) and finding out it's impossible to work around that limitation (assuming POWER 9 doesn't have an equivilent).

Edit to add: I'd guess that if someone has the money to outright by a Talos workstation, $350 hardware gamble might not phase them if they're a dedicated hardware hacker. (I would love to be in that situation myself! I love tickling hardware like that!)
                    It does support resizable BAR. E.g. on my POWER9 box with RX5500XT GPU:

Code:
                    $ sudo dmesg|grep BAR=
                    [ 2.641433] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=8176M, BAR=8192M​
                    Note the BAR=8192M; without it it would be 256M.

From what I can tell, the driver is just missing some plumbing. I'm not sure why the person who reported this even bothered buying the GPU; it was obvious that it wouldn't work out of box and would need some work, and if they are not willing to put in that effort, what is the point?

FWIW, I'd like to get one here myself and try to get it working, but shops don't stock them yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X