Freedreno Gallium3D Now Allows OpenGL 4.5 For Adreno 600 Series GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno Gallium3D Now Allows OpenGL 4.5 For Adreno 600 Series GPUs

Phoronix: Freedreno Gallium3D Now Allows OpenGL 4.5 For Adreno 600 Series GPUs

The Freedreno Gallium3D driver that provides reverse-engineered, open-source OpenGL support for Qualcomm Adreno GPUs is now capable of OpenGL 4.5 with the Adreno 600 series graphics processors...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Freedreno-A600-OpenGL-4.5

Does mesa include the things required for Android OS?
    ​​​​​​For example could you theoretically compile an AOSP rom such as LineageOS for a Snapdragon SoC phone which uses Mesa's Freedreno OpenGL driver instead of the default blob?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      ​​​​​​For example could you theoretically compile an AOSP rom such as LineageOS for a Snapdragon SoC phone which uses Mesa's Freedreno OpenGL driver instead of the default blob?
      SURE!

Comment

Yes, we do this on waydroid and android x86 already, want to have some fun? go some android games using an rx 580 and watch it demolish android devices.

mesa is needed for obvious reasons for desktop, but waydroid also supports hallium devices and other arm devices too. Mali IIRC has some issues right now depending on the device though

Comment

heh, just a couple weeks ago we were at gl3.3.. but then the weekend weather turned winter ;-)

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
          We (with my $dayjob ChromeOS hat on) are most definitely shipping devices which include android (in a container or vm) which use mesa (both for host CrOS and android environements). Ie. all of the intel+amd+qcom chromebooks. But the gallium driver does not currently support the downstream android kgsl kernel driver. (turnip, the vk driver, does.. we could probably support it for the gallium driver, but just not for x11 or anything that required implicit sync due to limitations in the kgsl driver. OTOH postmarketos and others are making a lot of progress for upstream kernel support on qc android phones, so not really sure if kgsl support is that important. But as they say, "patches welcome")

The recent higher gl version support won't really help android, as android doesn't use gl, only gles. (And freedreno has supported, and been shipping, gles32 on a6xx for a long time now). My recent weekend/evening adventures knocking out extensions needed for higher desktop gl versions has been at least 2/3rd enabling things that we already supported for gles, or compiler things we already supported for vk1.3, and 1/3rd adding a few new missing extensions or enabling things that we already had core nir passes to lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Yes, we do this on waydroid and android x86 already, want to have some fun? go some android games using an rx 580 and watch it demolish android devices.
            oh, ofc, but your desktop won't very well fit in a pocket or last very long on a tablet/phone sized battery ;-)

when it comes to fps divided by power, you still can't beat a tiler mobile gpu

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post

oh, ofc, but your desktop won't very well fit in a pocket or last very long on a tablet/phone sized battery ;-)

when it comes to fps divided by power, you still can't beat a tiler mobile gpu
              lol indeed it wont xD no worries, waydroid works on arm devices too PMOS and UBT are actually pretty nice uses of it, little clunky though, but we do finally have vulkan support now, just need to pester the waydroid devs to add angle now, since I dont think zink works to well on android rn...

too bad I dont have any arm devices, since its something I would like to test myself, oh well.

Comment

robclark 4.6 when?

Comment

Has Qualcomm ever commented officially or unofficially about this driver and all this mountain of work that has gone into this driver?

Comment

Slightly off topic, but I was wondering: what's the status of freedreno's support for the graphics in Qualcomm's 8cx Gen 3?

Comment

Working...
                    X