Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 7700X vs. Core i9 11900K AVX-512 Performance Analysis

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X vs. Core i9 11900K AVX-512 Performance Analysis

While initially leary of AMD Zen 4's "double pumped" approach for supporting AVX-512 using a 256-bit data path, it's proven to be very efficient for performance and yield great results without negative clock impairments or wreaking havoc on the power consumption. Back in September I delivered a detailed AVX-512 performance analysis on the Ryzen 9 7950X while in this article is a detailed benchmark look at the Core i9 11900K against the Ryzen 7 7700X. The Core i9 11900K being the currently last Intel desktop CPU officially supporting AVX-512 while the Ryzen 7 7700X was used for matching the core/thread count of that Rocket Lake processor for this AVX-512 on/off comparison.

https://www.phoronix.com/review/zen4-avx512-7700x

There it goes, the old wisdom of "AVX-512 usage increases power draw and thus can have a negative effect on performance". The benchmarks show it that this thinking is now obsolete on Zen 4.
    Last edited by ms178; 02 November 2022, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I for one find it hilarious hat amd's half-assed avx 512 implementation offers a sizably larger performance increase.

But then again, it is just a repeat of zen 1 which did the same for 256.

Goes to show - it is not just about having the units in the cpu, pipeline saturation, scheduling and load / store throughput play a vital role. Intel appears to not have done enough research and simulation before they decided to go full-on with their implementation, despite the fact it was so bad the cpu had to throttle down.

And in just as botched of a solution, they decided to fuse it off altogether, granting amd a massive advantage in software that implements it.

Well done intel, keep up the good work. Slow clap.

Comment

Excellent set of tests. The results offer not-obvious, meaningful insights.

Keep up the great work!

Comment

Intel is going to revive AVX-512. Probably in a new implementation akin to AMDs double pumping.
          Probably on both P and E cores. I can't see how they won't.

They served this to AMD on a silver platter.

Comment

Considering AMD doesn't have as much die space dedicated to AVX512, really gets me to wonder what Intel was trying to do here.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Considering AMD doesn't have as much die space dedicated to AVX512, really gets me to wonder what Intel was trying to do here.
              They were doing what is high time becomes known as "an intel". Getting accustomed to riding out your monopoly and history of unethical bussiness practices, arrogant and full of yourself. At this point, they will have to battle this title out with nvidia tho...
              Last edited by ddriver; 02 November 2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

They were doing what is high time becomes known as "an intel". Getting accustomed to riding out your monopoly and history of unethical bussiness practices, arrogant and full of yourself. At this point, they will have to battle this title out with nvidia tho...
                To me it looks like Alderlake was initially designed with just the *Cove cores (no E Cores), which can do AVX512,
                but was then blindsided by AMDs x950 multicore designs; intel marketing then probably demanded moar cores,
                but manufacturing couldn't deliver the same amount of P cores with a reasonable power envelope and die area,
                so some spruced up Atom cores were hastily added to get core numbers up.
                But then Microsoft probably said "no we're not going to complicate our scheduler to deal with asymmetric ISA
                extension support" (or couldn't get it to work reliably) and then Intel was left with the only option to downgrade
                the P cores to E-Core-ISA levels.​

the E-cores probably will get amd-style avx512 support in the future, they do have avx2 already, and the P-cores
                will keep the full width implementation.

Comment

Zen4's AVX512 Teardown​: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?p=614191

Comment

ok - so a 14nm intel vs a 6nm amd - 8 core - both are beasts anyway. its a shame that intel has at the moment no avx-512 capable consumer cpu in sortiment.

Comment

Working...
                    X