Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Godot Game Engine Now Has Its Own Foundation

Phoronix: The Godot Game Engine Now Has Its Own Foundation

The Godot open-source game engine had been part of the Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC) as many open-source projects utilize for handling fiscal sponsorship duties and the like while now the Godot Foundation has been established as its own legal entity...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Godot-Foundation

I just hope Godot gets taken more seriously and finally even competes Unreal Engine in professional high end AAA+ game development someday.

Comment

Godot seems great, but apparently the other language support like CPP and rust is not implemented in the greatest way. im not a dev, but one of my friends who tried it briefly was not a fan of it, said they would wait for 4.0 before making a decision tho

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        I just hope Godot gets taken more seriously and finally even competes Unreal Engine in professional high end AAA+ game development someday.
        Unfortunately without a HUGE investment of cash this wont happen. A simple review of the Unreal 5 engine will show that even if they were able to compete in rendering, that is only half (or less) of the equation these days when making a game. The shear volume of assets, tools, and extreme fidelity art that UE has tossed in on top of their engine basically for free, makes it very difficult to look anywhere else!

Comment

The Godot developers also formed their own startup and raised $8M+ for further advancing Godot as W4 Games.
          For a moment, I thought it was Warner Bros Games

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Godot seems great, but apparently the other language support like CPP and rust is not implemented in the greatest way. im not a dev, but one of my friends who tried it briefly was not a fan of it, said they would wait for 4.0 before making a decision tho
            I'm all for the Godot project and I only hope it gets the greatest success, but, I have no idea who this project is aimed at. It's written in C++ but not actually made for C++ users, all it has is a really bad Python clone as a scripting language, and that's it. It has a C# extension to target Unity developers but even that's half-assed. Godot seems very directionless and feels like it has no idea who to actually market to. Never mind real developers who actually know what they're doing and consider all this Python and C# nonsense to be kindergarten crap to them. They really need to step up their game and consider integrating with real languages before they consider how to market themselves.

(And for the record, I am a Python and C# developer. They just aren't very fun languages to make a game in.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

I'm all for the Godot project and I only hope it gets the greatest success, but, I have no idea who this project is aimed at. It's written in C++ but not actually made for C++ users, all it has is a really bad Python clone as a scripting language, and that's it. It has a C# extension to target Unity developers but even that's half-assed. Godot seems very directionless and feels like it has no idea who to actually market to. Never mind real developers who actually know what they're doing and consider all this Python and C# nonsense to be kindergarten crap to them. They really need to step up their game and consider integrating with real languages before they consider how to market themselves.

(And for the record, I am a Python and C# developer. They just aren't very fun languages to make a game in.)
              And they also killed their really bad Visual Script implementation instead of improving it. It seems their target is not newbie devs either.

Comment

Ironmask,@archerallstars: Isn't C++ integrated though?
                https://docs.godotengine.org/en/late...es_in_cpp.html

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Unfortunately without a HUGE investment of cash this wont happen. A simple review of the Unreal 5 engine will show that even if they were able to compete in rendering, that is only half (or less) of the equation these days when making a game. The shear volume of assets, tools, and extreme fidelity art that UE has tossed in on top of their engine basically for free, makes it very difficult to look anywhere else!
                  That's what they need to aim to. If Linux Foundation is trying it with the O3D thing, it's plausible to do it a lit better than their multiple wasted efforts.

And make scripting to not suck, plus proper support of certain programming languages. I would like Lua, but Python and C# seem popular too. And bindings for C++ and Rust? It's okay too.

Comment

Growth is good. Keep at it Godot.

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Take this with a grain of salt: Game development these days are not so much about programming unless you are doing AAA or you are passionate about programming.

From my perspective Godot does a good job to handle the entire project in the same way that Unreal is doing. It's obviously not apples to apples but that seems to be the goal. There are other open source engines that have much better graphical fidelity than Godot. I have not found one that is as easy to use for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience in game development or programming. Godot also does a good job in portability and ease of creating releases for mobile, web etc. Most other open source game engines fail badly in this regard. The most valuable thing IMO about Godot is that it's actually free and open source. There's no hidden agenda, you see this in some other projects which makes me very uncomfortable.

I don't like DSLs in any environment with the exception of HCL by hashicorp but that's just because xml/json/yaml is "so bad". I would like to have good bindings too but I don't know if I am Godot's target audience in this regard.

Comment

Working...
                    X