Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperTuxKart 1.4 Released With Initial Vulkan Renderer

Phoronix: SuperTuxKart 1.4 Released With Initial Vulkan Renderer

SuperTuxKart 1.4 is out today as the newest feature release to this open-source kart racing game originally inspired by Mario Kart...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/SuperTuxKart-1.4

Is there a way to turn vulkan on on android?

Comment

I assume the motivation for this wasn't for performance, but for compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        for compatibility.
        With what platforms? Or you say in a future-proof sense?

Comment

(Too bad though their max FPS handling at 120 FPS remains mucked up and regressed for benchmarking purposes...)
          The FPS limit can be changed in a configuration file, but I haven't tested it: https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/4050

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
            With what platforms? Or you say in a future-proof sense?
            I think there are some ARM and perhaps MIPS or RISC-V GPUs that support Vulkan but not OpenGL; they might support GLES but not all software supports that, and, not all Linux drivers support GLES. Granted, I'm not all that up-to-date on this kind of stuff, but I can't be making it up when you read the first paragraph describing Zink:
            https://docs.mesa3d.org/drivers/zink.html

Comment

I think there are some ARM and perhaps MIPS or RISC-V GPUs that support Vulkan but not OpenGL; they might support GLES but not all software supports that, and, not all Linux drivers support GLES. Granted, I'm not all that up-to-date on this kind of stuff, but I can't be making it up when you read the first paragraph describing Zink:
              https://docs.mesa3d.org/drivers/zink.html
              Great, thanks!

Comment

Balanced starting positions and reworked the placement of elements when racing on soccer fields to make the competition convenient, regardless of the number of participants (up to one vs. one races). Markings have been added to improve route strategy planning on the field.
                A trial lap mode has been added.
                Ability to form Windows builds for the ARMv7 architecture.
                Resumed support for the macOS platform from version 10.9 to 10.14 inclusive.
                Added new animations for elements and stars.
                Implemented support for high pixel density screens (HiDPI).
                Added experimental rendering engine using the Vulkan API. The option "--render-driver=vulkan" and the command "/vulkan" are available to enable it.
                A function for searching tracks has been added to the network operations screen.
                Provided the ability to set a limit on the number of players.
                Added new Godette map. Map Konqi has been updated.
                Updated Battle Island and Cave X tracks. Fixed problems with Antediluvian Abyss raceway. Added new textures for the Shifting Sands track.

Comment

I assume the motivation for this wasn't for performance, but for compatibility.
                  Both, actually. The OpenGL code was really old and crusty. Bad performance with large numbers of objects, bad performance on lower-end hardware (RPi etc), bad OpenGL drivers on most platforms, visual issues, etc.

Take this quote from the STK IRC channel:

fps boost on raspberry pi 4b oc to 2100mhz.
                  previously I got 20fps at 1360x768 with lowest effect on 1st map (abyss)
                  now with vulkan, I got 60fps+
                  thanks for making it happening!​
                  That's a pretty big difference.

It also gives a chance to see higher quality tracks, as artists can use more objects and better effects, whereas before they would have caused too much slowdown due to the un-optimized engine.

Michael I'd love to see some benchmarks on lower-end hardware (RPI4 and such) of STK 1.3 with OpenGL, STK 1.4 with OpenGL, and STK 1.4 with Vulkan. (Note that Vulkan currently maxes out at graphics level 2, higher settings are ignored, so use this for an apples-to-apples comparison.

Disabling the FPS limit: https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-...ment-570967951

Comment

In my test curiously with opengl have shaders and other thing but with vulkan dont allow but with zink allow same things than opengl

OpenGL

Vulkan

Zink

Maybe next week add some videos with 3 apis but until finish next bunch of dxvk tests

Comment

Working...
                    X