Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i5 13600K Linux Performance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Core i5 13600K Linux Performance

    Phoronix: Intel Core i5 13600K Linux Performance

    Last week I looked at the Intel Core i9 13900K performance under Linux while today the focus is on the Core i5 13600K. The Core i5 13600K is a 14-core / 20-thread processor (6 P cores + 8 E cores), up from 6 P cores + 4 E cores with the prior generation Core i5 12600K. The Core i5 13600K has a recommended customer price of $319~329, which is indeed being honored among Internet retailers and with robust availability. Here is an initial look at how the Core i5 13600K "Raptor Lake" is running under Ubuntu Linux.

    https://www.phoronix.com/review/intel-core-i5-13600k

  • #2
    This is a good value cpu, the product of intel's desperate attempts to reclaim any market and amd prioritizing enterprise over consumer.

    The 13900k tho... that's just an embarrassment. They totally butchered that one for a few meaningless minuscule victories.

    Comment


    • #3
      Very good value CPU if you are a developer on a "budget" IMHO, it's onpar with the 5950x (an absolute beast) it also uses a fair bit less power for single core and a bit more for multicore. Temperatures are also good.

      I am a massive AMD fan since the 2990wx stole my heart (followed by the 5950x early this year).

      We need neck and neck competition for AMD and Intel to push each other and bring kickass CPUs out for consumers.

      Comment


      • #4
        One thing to note, RCP, recommended customer price, is ​what Intel charges it's direct customers such as Dell or Amazon per CPU in their bulk orders. The fact they are selling for such low prices indicates to me either:
        1. A lot of custom negotiations for lower prices.
        2. They were not selling well at the debut price of $350 (what I saw the 13600K going for on the 13th gens launch day).
        3. Intel worked out a bunch of deals to win mind share in the midrange during the initial launch period.
        I would not be surprised if the price creeps back up to about $350. That said, at $300 this processor is a steal!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Vlad42 View Post
          One thing to note, RCP, recommended customer price, is ​what Intel charges it's direct customers such as Dell or Amazon per CPU in their bulk orders. The fact they are selling for such low prices indicates to me either:
          1. A lot of custom negotiations for lower prices.
          2. They were not selling well at the debut price of $350 (what I saw the 13600K going for on the 13th gens launch day).
          3. Intel worked out a bunch of deals to win mind share in the midrange during the initial launch period.
          I would not be surprised if the price creeps back up to about $350. That said, at $300 this processor is a steal!
          The "debut price" was NOT $350, MSRP was always $319. Every site with early reviews covered this.

          https://www.anandtech.com/show/17601...600k-review/18

          Your conjecture about them not selling well is meaningless. The 13600K is the best value for a latest gen CPU right now if you need that level of performance. AM5 + DDR5 is an expensive platform right now. 13600K + DDR4 + B660 is the cheapest way to top tier performance if you are building your own on a budget. Or go previous gen Ryzen, 5600 is cheap.
          Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 31 October 2022, 02:58 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Michael is it still possible to enable avx-512 for raptorlake (by disabling ecores) as it was done in alderlake? Or do these new raptor cove cores lack the avx512 silicon?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bezirg View Post
              Michael is it still possible to enable avx-512 for raptorlake (by disabling ecores) as it was done in alderlake? Or do these new raptor cove cores do not have avx512 silicon?
              It;s been fused off since later ADL parts.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                ...
                The 13900k tho... that's just an embarrassment. They totally butchered that one for a few meaningless minuscule victories.
                This makes you really rethink how billion dollar industries operate.
                Intel's thermal engineers hod-rodded their non-competitive node to single core victory.
                On the other side, AMD didn't invite their thermal engineers to the meeting.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It looks like to me, we live at a good time CPU wise. No matter which vendor CPU you go with you can't go wrong . There is one that is going to fit your budget, need, or just plain want!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mppix View Post

                    This makes you really rethink how billion dollar industries operate.
                    Intel's thermal engineers hod-rodded their non-competitive node to single core victory.
                    On the other side, AMD didn't invite their thermal engineers to the meeting.
                    But Intel's thermal engineers were out sick on the day they were supposed to meet with the second source supplier for the ILM?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X