Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome Is Already Preparing To Deprecate JPEG-XL

Phoronix: Google Chrome Is Already Preparing To Deprecate JPEG-XL

JPEG-XL has been looked on rather favorably as a royalty-free, next-generation lossy/lossless image format with much better performance than JPEG. To much surprise, Google Chrome is already making preparations to deprecate JPEG-XL image support in their browser...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Chrome...cating-JPEG-XL

Sounds like Google is trying to give their own format a leg up on the competition, Microsoft style. "If you can't beat em, manipulate the market until you win"

Comment

This looks like the same mafia-style sleazy method that Canonical is using to push their cappy Snap format forward by removing any .deb competition!
      I always see naive people tell me when I complain about Snap that I can remove Snap if I don't want it and I can just install the .deb version from the repository.
      Anyway, it's a shame to see open standards being removed!

Comment

JPEG-XL has zero traction in hardware and it's currently worthless - not by design, but by the complete lack of other required hardware/software pieces falling into place to enable it's adoption - for actual real-world usage, so I'm not surprised that it's going away in Chrome. JPEG XT is more relevant to current usage and is backwards compatible with all standard JPEG implementations.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
          JPEG-XL has zero traction in hardware and it's currently worthless - not by design, but by the complete lack of other required hardware/software pieces falling into place to enable it's adoption - for actual real-world usage, so I'm not surprised that it's going away in Chrome. JPEG XT is more relevant to current usage and is backwards compatible with all standard JPEG implementations.
          Is this a joke? there is massive push universally for JXL, everyone wants it, and it's getting great traction. websites already starting to roll it out despite browsers not even enabling support out of box for it. That's how much of a feature benefit you get from it, and that's how much traction it's getting. it's not worthless at all...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
            The biggest piece of software needed to enable JXL adoption is browser. With Firefox never allowing JXL outside nightly and Chrome hiding it behind a flag, of course there is the "complete lack" of support. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. People can't start using it in websites if no browsers enable it by default. Then Chrome got the excuse of deprecating / removing it because people haven't started using it.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Google Chrome Is Already Preparing To Deprecate JPEG-XL

... To much surprise, Google Chrome is already making preparations to deprecate JPEG-XL image support in their browser...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Chrome...cating-JPEG-XL
              I'm not at all surprised. This is what you get when you give so much market share to a product of a for-profit corporation and their chrome-a-clone offspring. Fx will probably keep support, so if you're concerned, vote with your choice of browser. Make no mistake, Google isn't devoting resources to the chromium project for altruistic reasons.

Comment

I'm reading some of these comments suggesting Jpeg-XL was this awesome format everyone was missing out on. Who was? Where? No one gave a rat's ass about it then. No one gave a rat's ass about it now. Like WebM, WebP and all the other also-ran dead-out-of-the-gate next-gen file formats, it never got any traction to succeed plain old jpeg.

Unlike AV1--which most in the streaming industry sees value in to reduce their operating, licensing and streaming costs---, no one sees value in yet another file format that no one knows if it has interop and interchange utility across apps and OSes. If Photoshop switched to using it, then EVERYONE would switch to it. Let's be honest, the biggest players in the image file format uses call the shots no matter how awesome the idea behind the format is. Sadly.

This just reminds me of Netbooks, Tablets or the "Death of The PC" that industry "experts" shouted at the top of their lungs from high atop Mount Dipshit: They were all horribly, horrible wrong, predicted nothing and changed nothing. Jpeg will, more or less, be the defacto standard since most of us take a pic with our phone cam and it's--no surprise or shock here--a jpg. I'm still shocked PNG is still with us but since Photoshop gives it to us and a 2nd choice...well...do I even have to finish this thought?
                Last edited by kozman; 29 October 2022, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  This looks like the same mafia-style sleazy method that Canonical is using to push their cappy Snap format forward by removing any .deb competition!
                  I always see naive people tell me when I complain about Snap that I can remove Snap if I don't want it and I can just install the .deb version from the repository.
                  Anyway, it's a shame to see open standards being removed!
                  Both Canonical with Snaps and Google with Chrome remind me of Microsoft with Windows 95-ME, skip a few generations, and Windows 11 with how MS baked IE or Edge into everything and made us to use 3rd party programs just to open web links in the correct browser. Go to install another browser and Windows 11 goes out of its way to tout how nice Edge is and will even throw up Big Red Security Warnings to scare the normals away from Chrome or Firefox.

This is worse than open standards being removed. This is Google removing one open standard because it competes with their open standard.

I wonder if that act violates Anti-Trust laws. Being nervous about violating laws like that could be a reason why they didn't leave a reason as to why they're removing JPEX-XL support in their commit message.

What's fucked up is reading the commit history for JPEG XL -- all those people seem so happy and enthused about JXL support, everything seemed to be good to go, everyone was talking about how companies are suggesting their customers use Chrome to view JPEX-XL content, and out of nowhere the rug got yanked out. I wonder if those tickets are about to get flooded with "WTF Google?" comments.

Comment

To be honest, image formats are a dime a dozen. Here's the thing: JPEG images are "good enough" for lossy, PNG images are "good enough" for lossless.

Even if you can get 80% better file compression out of a new format, who cares? Video storage is a problem, image storage is not.

I imagine that Google had some good reason to remove JPEG-XL, probably reasons involving lawyers rather than anything technical. That's why I am always skeptical of "new formats and compressions". Sure it's free for now...
                    Last edited by OneTimeShot; 29 October 2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X