KDE Ends Out October With More Plasma 6.0 Planning, Plasma Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ends Out October With More Plasma 6.0 Planning, Plasma Wayland Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Ends Out October With More Plasma 6.0 Planning, Plasma Wayland Fixes

KDE developers remain very busy planning for Plasma 6.0 as well as working various changes into Plasma 5.27 as the desktop's last Plasma 5 series release...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/KDE-EO-October-2022

Is it just me, or do others also see some weird shaking in the bottom half of that blog post page?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      Is it just me, or do others also see some weird shaking in the bottom half of that blog post page?
      Nate must be shaking things up for the new version (I could not help myself).

No, I didn't see any weird shaking at any part of the page (Firefox 105.0).

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
        No, I didn't see any weird shaking at any part of the page (Firefox 105.0).
        I'm on Firefox 106.0.2 and for me it starts since the first screenshot under "User Interface Improvements" all the way to the bottom.

Maybe that blog post page is excited for the release of Plasma 6.0

Edit: Seems it's gone now
        Last edited by user1; 29 October 2022, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I wonder why it stops at 5.27 specifically & hopefully this means picking Vulkan for the compositor/renderer instead of OpenGL or XRndr will be an option soon πŸ€žπŸΌπŸ‘€

Comment

I'm really glad they they made the annoying full-row selection optional!
            And that they've fixed the hand-grab mouse cursor that was happening in Firefox for a long time.

Comment

MORE FIXESSS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dasein View Post
                I wonder why it stops at 5.27 specifically & hopefully this means picking Vulkan for the compositor/renderer instead of OpenGL or XRndr will be an option soon πŸ€žπŸΌπŸ‘€
                It's already an option on 5.26.

Just put

QSG_RHI_BACKEND=vulkan

in /etc/environment and reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I'm on Firefox 106.0.2 and for me it starts since the first screenshot under "User Interface Improvements" all the way to the bottom.

Maybe that blog post page is excited for the release of Plasma 6.0

Edit: Seems it's gone now
                  Can confirm it happens to me on Arch (KDE on Wayland, latest propietary nvidia drivers, GTX 1060), on Firefox 106.0.2, Chromium 107.0.5304.87, and Falkon 22.08.2, with a couple of subtle differences. In all three it happens on the image/figure showing the "Breeze-themed windows now have a subtle outline around them," item (which is the only figure with a slider) which starts vibrating, with subtle differences

Firefox: It only vibrates on maximized windows or fullscreen mode (F11), and it vibrates from the moment the figure comes on until the end of the page (if you scroll back, it stops vibrating).
                  Chromium: It always vibrates (maximized, non maximized, fullscreen), but only while the figure is displayed. On non-maximized, if the window is narrow enough to trigger a layout change (to tablet/cellphone display), it will stop vibrating but will resume as soon as the window is wide enough
                  Falkon: Same as Chromium, but sometimes the figure will stop display on the widest page style when resizing

(Without further debugging, it seems to be a bug in the carousel -- it feels like it's reacting to an input that isn't there -- but there might also be a bug in Plasma Wayland, and the difference in behavior on Firefox also looks like a bug/possible enhancement...)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's already an option on 5.26.

Just put

QSG_RHI_BACKEND=vulkan

in /etc/environment and reboot.
                    This isn't windows, you don't have to reboot. Just logout and `sudo systemctl restart <your display manager>` from a terminal

Comment

Working...
                    X