Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUXEDO OS Delivering Some Performance Gains Over Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Phoronix: TUXEDO OS Delivering Some Performance Gains Over Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Linux PC retailer TUXEDO Computers earlier this month released TUXEDO OS 1. The Bavarian Linux PC vendor has long modified their stock Ubuntu installations to cater toward their intended customers/audience and ship with the various software modifications while now with TUXEDO OS is an easy-to-setup ISO image of their customized Ubuntu-based Linux OS. I've been trying out TUXEDO OS on the AMD Ryzen powered TUXEDO Aura 15 Gen2 and ran some comparison benchmarks against (K)Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

https://www.phoronix.com/review/tuxedo-os-1

NEWSFLASH:

Turns out "schedutil" is the worst CPU governor ever written!

Any hope for improvements unfounded, because upstream stopped caring about it a long time ago...

Comment

Odd to go back to 1, when they already had a Tuxedo OS before this.

I also didn't find their control center to be very useful. It only has charging vs battery for power profiles, and it just ends up fighting with powerdevil for the screen brightness and gamemoded for the governor.

Comment

Nice that their OS is using KDE Plasma as the default desktop environment!
        And it's also very nice of them that they are KDE patrons.

Comment

I love the new graphs after the geometric mean one. Hope to see them on future benchmarks and becoming the new golden Phoronix standard. Keep on the good work Michael

Comment

Tuxedo performed better.... at the cost of twice the energy consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Tuxedo performed better.... at the cost of twice the energy consumption.
              From the article:

Overall though TUXEDO OS in the default profile had slightly better performance-per-Watt than Kubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ub42 View Post
                I love the new graphs after the geometric mean one. Hope to see them on future benchmarks and becoming the new golden Phoronix standard. Keep on the good work Michael
                As for CPU Power Consumption Monitor? I like them too, but I don't really understand them fully. What do all dots, lines and intervals exactly stand for? Is there some documentation for it or would you or somebody else mind explaining?

Comment

Didn't find any explanation in the documentation nor from the pts source code. I guess the CPU Power consumption monitor graph uses candlestick to help visualize variation between tests that had run multiple times. Michael might be able to clarify elements of the chart.
                  Last edited by Ub42; 30 October 2022, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X