Intel's Open-Source OpenGL Driver Adds Support For "Protected Content"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Open-Source OpenGL Driver Adds Support For "Protected Content"

Phoronix: Intel's Open-Source OpenGL Driver Adds Support For "Protected Content"

Merged this morning into Mesa 22.3 for the Intel "Iris" Gallium3D driver is "protected content" support in conjunction with the EGL_EXT_protected_content extension...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-...tected-Content

will this enable 4k streaming in browsers like chrome or edge under linux? (i think these 2 are the only ones on windows with 4k support)

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
      will this enable 4k streaming in browsers like chrome or edge under linux? (i think these 2 are the only ones on windows with 4k support)
      4k streaming works just fine on sites that don't insist on using DRM. "piracy" is always the technically and morally superior option over complying with corporate copyright bullshit.

Comment

and now every piece of shit streaming site will require it.
        Glad I don't support any such garbage.
        They will get my money only if they don't treat me as a criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post
          4k streaming works just fine on sites that don't insist on using DRM. "piracy" is always the technically and morally superior option over complying with corporate copyright bullshit.
          DRM is the most idiotic bullshit out there. Attempting to force scarcity on the cheaply reproducible is immoral and is also ineffective for the savvy, who happen to also share it either for a sense of community or the bragging rights of getting there first, so you quickly find everything in torrents. It inconveniences only the extremely non-tech-savvy who would depend on a friend or some cheap copies if they couldn't or didn't want to pay. Truth is, most people not pirating do so either for legal risk (in the few countries that actually prosecute), for solidarity with content producers or for convenience when you provide a good quality service.
          Said that, whether "piracy" is the morally superior option is ambiguous: one could argue too much piracy leads to too little funding for production of new content. At the same time, everyone but independent productions is pretty much squeezed by big middle men, so I can see why someone would prefer to not give them more money on the reasonable assumption that it won't mean better salaries for those actually doing the work. So, essentially, I don't think that part is as black and white as you paint it.

Comment

Thanks again Intel, what would we do without you

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              Unless Microsoft starts shipping PlayReady in Edge linux, nope.

Basically, if you want high res streams (particularly HDR streams), you should be using apps through your TV, tablet or (maybe) phone.

And I sympathize with people who are sick of this DRM... but, to be blunt, desktop linux is not a satisfactory environment for a hi-fi HTPC anymore, even if you strictly use files on your own drives.
              Last edited by brucethemoose; 27 October 2022, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Until the day someone break this bullshit and makes them ridicules, burning thousands dollars of development...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                  Until the day someone break this bullshit and makes them ridicules, burning thousands dollars of development...
                  DRMs are already broken. Just try to find the latest Netflix/Prime/Disney+ series on the internet. You will get it in full quality unreencoded 4K DoVi Atmos. DRMs do not prevent "piracy", just legitimate usage.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
                    And I sympathize with people who are sick of this DRM... but, to be blunt, desktop linux is not a satisfactory environment for a hi-fi HTPC anymore, even if you strictly use files on your own drives.
                    Depends on what you're watching. I tend to watch more streaming content than movies, so Linux works just fine for me. In fact it's a very good option for YouTube because mpv doesn't play the ads.

If you want to watch a 4K movie, the simplest thing to do is stream it through the TV or a streaming device. I really don't think it's that big of a disadvantage for Linux. You don't benefit a whole lot from 4K on a small laptop screen, and watching 4K movies on a large desktop monitor is not an extremely common case. If you have a large 4K desktop monitor then just plug a streaming device into one of its additional HDMI ports.

Comment

Working...
                    X