Intel Core i9 13900K Linux Benchmarks - Performing Very Well On Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 13900K Linux Benchmarks - Performing Very Well On Ubuntu

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 13900K Linux Benchmarks - Performing Very Well On Ubuntu

Last week Intel began shipping their 13th Gen Core "Raptor Lake" processors. As noted in that launch-day article last week, unfortunately I wasn't able to deliver my usual Linux performance review in time due to hitting some DDR5 issues with my test platform, but those have now been resolved with a new Z790 motherboard. So as the first of my Raptor Lake Linux benchmarks, here is a look at how the top-end Core i9 13900K performs against the AMD Ryzen 7000 series on Ubuntu Linux along with the older Intel/AMD processors.

https://www.phoronix.com/review/intel-core-i9-13900k

I think a big (initial) turn off for this generation of chips is the power consumption. However, I believe this is a fault of the ecosystem because spec limits aren't being enforced by default. Puget Systems has done a write up on this for both Raptor Lake and Zen 4, and der8auer has done a video demonstrating what these chips are capable of at lower power envelopes.

Michael, it would be interesting if you have the time and the chips still to see the results of power consumption and thermals if you also performed some BIOS level power modifications, because from what I've seen the performance-per-watt can really shine when doing so. I totally understand testing against defaults, but this is something that can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-2375/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-2373/

Cheers,
    Mike

Comment

Also Michael it would be very cool to know the power consumption of the whole systems at idle. It's clear that Intel wastes more energy, but while in desktops, CPUs are most of the time not doing anything. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ktecho View Post
        Also Michael it would be very cool to know the power consumption of the whole systems at idle. It's clear that Intel wastes more energy, but while in desktops, CPUs are most of the time not doing anything. Thanks!
        That's an odd takeaway from graphs that show 2 of AMD's CPUs using more power than Intels at the top end.

I don't think this is a bad thing... its just a case of scaling power to scale performance and its a decent trade off and isn't completely throwing away efficiency either. But lets not kid around... its using alot of power.

Comment

The 32-thread Core i9 13900K was able to run neck-and-neck with the 36-thread AMD Ryzen 9 6950X processor.
          This seems like it could use a tweak - guessing it should read "32-thread ... 7950X" ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

This seems like it could use a tweak - guessing it should read "32-thread ... 7950X" ?
            Whoops, yeah, fixed. Thanks.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

That's an odd takeaway from graphs that show 2 of AMD's CPUs using more power than Intels at the top end.
              What graphs did you see? The 13900K used an average of 159W (vs 124W of the 7950X) and a peak of 319W (vs 235W of the 7950X).
              That's 36% more in multithreaded workloads. If you take into account performance/watt it's even worse (about 40%).
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'm not saying it's not the fastest, but I'm also not saying that it isn't a space heater.

I'm just happy the competition remains a neck-to-neck marathon! I'm still surprised AMD manages to squeeze better AVX-512 performance out with the double-pumping tactics, it underlines how power-hungry the Intel implemention really is.

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post
                  it would be interesting if you have the time and the chips still to see the results of power consumption and thermals if you also performed some BIOS level power modifications, because from what I've seen the performance-per-watt can really shine when doing so. I totally understand testing against defaults, but this is something that can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
                  AMD seems to be releasing 65 W models (those without an X), that are rumored to have 10% less performabce not sure bout Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Intel Core i9 13900K Linux Benchmarks - Performing Very Well On Ubuntu

Last week Intel began shipping their 13th Gen Core "Raptor Lake" processors. As noted in that launch-day article last week, unfortunately I wasn't able to deliver my usual Linux performance review in time due to hitting some DDR5 issues with my test platform, but those have now been resolved with a new Z790 motherboard. So as the first of my Raptor Lake Linux benchmarks, here is a look at how the top-end Core i9 13900K performs against the AMD Ryzen 7000 series on Ubuntu Linux along with the older Intel/AMD processors.

https://www.phoronix.com/review/intel-core-i9-13900k
                    Michael 3900X and 3950X are on the last (slowest) positions in many benchmarks. It would be very helpful to add the charts "Geometric Mean: single-core apps" (where Ryzen 3950X is near the bottom of the chart) and "Geometric Mean: multi-core apps" (where Ryzen 3950X is in the middle of the chart).

Comment

Working...
                    X