Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python 3.11 Performance Benchmarks Show Huge Improvement

Phoronix: Python 3.11 Performance Benchmarks Show Huge Improvement

While this summer I ran some early Python 3.11 benchmarks using the development state at the time, given yesterday's Python 3.11 release I ran some fresh performance tests of the official Python 3.11 version against prior Python 3 releases.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yep, updated! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-awRSXFXZA

Comment

Alternative title: A turtle hugely outran a snail.

Comment

Pretty hefty. Considering how commonly Python is used in open-source software and how few people use alternative interpreters, this is a very welcome improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          I did not read the poster's name, only clicked the link and had an instant dƩjƠ vu ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Comment

Nice performance improvemetns!
            But outside of Qbittorrent that uses Python for the search engine I don't know which other mainstream or popular program uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              But outside of Qbittorrent that uses Python for the search engine I don't know which other mainstream or popular program uses it.
              Python has become rather popular in IoT. Kids script all sorts of stuff for SBCs using Python. Some games use Python for their game world scripts. These should get a little boost from it. A brief Google search gave me a few game titles using Python: Civilization IV, Battlefield 2, Sims 4, World of Tanks, EVE Online. If you search for it you might find more.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Blender. The majority of plugins are written in python as the preferred plugin interface, including many included in the releases.
                Most AI toolkits use python as its orchestration language, so the performant parts are run on GPUs in Cuda and the code that ties is together is python glue code.
                Zulip. Yt-dl. Ansible. Asciinema. Zeronet. OpenCV. Pie-Hole. Deluge. Qute Browser. OpenShot. Pivoti. BleachBit. AutoKey.

This post is curated by IssueHunt that an issue based bounty platform for open source projects. It is the easiest way to make bounty program for OSS.

Wondering how powerful Python programming is? Here in this article, we've compiled a list of 130+ useful Python projects with source code on GitHub. Learn more!

ā€‹

Comment

Also the Kicad plugin system. Python displaced Lua for the language of choice of plugin systems and other kinds of glue logic.

I use it a lot for writing scripts on big CI pipelines. I usually start with bash, but when the complexity increases, I tend to jump to Python, mostly because of its extensive built-in stdlib. It is a modern Perl.

I would just love if they made their type annotation a first class citizen. Most of times it feels like a badly implemented afterthought.
                  Last edited by amxfonseca; 25 October 2022, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amxfonseca View Post

I would just love if they made their type annotation a first class citizen. Most of times it feels like a badly implemented afterthought.
                    It might feel that way if you haven't looked beyond Mypy. Pyre or Pyright are significantly better. In particular, you can take any codebase you don't have types on and run pyre infer -iā€‹, get types automatically and go from there.

EDIT: You should also look at Pydantic. With these tools, you can get fast runtime checks and validation.
                    Last edited by RahulSundaram; 25 October 2022, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X