Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Python 3.11 Released With Big Performance Improvements, Task Groups For Async I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pypy should be the default interpreter(jit compiler actually).
    it's more faithful to python than CPython itself while being way faster...

Comment

That won't make a dent for portage's slowness, but every little bit helps if you are a Gentoo user.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        pypy should be the default interpreter(jit compiler actually).
        it's more faithful to python than CPython itself while being way faster...
        How can something be more faithful than the reference implementation...?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          That won't make a dent for portage's slowness, but every little bit helps if you are a Gentoo user.
          Benchmarks from three months ago suggest the impact is 5-27% - not great, not terrible (but really pretty good for something dealing with lots of files).

The biggest benefit appeared to be in the "pretend emptytree" mode, where it presumably did a lot of CPU work figuring out what files it would installing and where. Here it seems there was - and is - significant room for improvement, since PyPy3 (which uses JIT compilation to machine code instead of interpretation of bytecode) does it still faster. CPython 3.11 has removed about half to two thirds of the defecit vs. PyPy3 for such work.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
            On a seperate note
            typo: separate

Comment

I'm not a fan of either Go or Python, but except for Python's large user base and libs - isn't Go generally better and faster (especially since it got generics)?
              Last time I looked at them Go seemed like Python 2.0

Comment

I think Python is great for non-developers (tinkerers, biologists, chemists, mathematicians, etc), but a really shitty language for developers.

Python is appealing to non-developers because it is simple and easy with few advanced constructs that non-developers don't care about. However for developers it is quite shitty because the the type hinting system sucks, it is very awkward and feels very shoehorned on, the one in TypeScript seems much nicer and easier.

As a developer it is hard to model the code with intent and constraints because and there are no interfaces or many things that other languages have. Python does have ABC and prototypes and "protocols" but it feels more like workarounds and things like enums, decorators and properties feel like workarounds and awkward too.

Initially Python code looks clean in textbook examples, but take a look at more advanced code that uses enums and decorators, all without native syntax and more like patterns, the code doesn't look as clean as other languages.

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                I am curious why a store version is preferred over what you can get from https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
                It is much easier to update software from Windows Store, you can update all the software in one go easy, instead of have to download, uninstall and reinstall each software manually one by one.

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                Not familiar with Windows Store (what ever that is) . But we (at work) use WinPython for all our Windoze Python systems. Can install anywhere. Using 3.10 now. 3.11 will come eventually. Fast enough right now, but faster is always better .
                Windows Store is an application that comes with Windows 10 and Windows 11 that lets you install applications, it is kind of like GNOME Software. A bit like a package manager for Windows UWP apps which are kind of like Flatpak or Snap.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  I'm not a fan of either Go or Python, but except for Python's large user base and libs - isn't Go generally better and faster (especially since it got generics)?
                  Last time I looked at them Go seemed like Python 2.0
                  They both have some overlap but largely different strengths. Go does better for performance but although generics is supported in the language now, most of the standard library doesn't take advantage of it yet, this is expected to take several more releases. Even simple operations like say, removing duplicate elements in a slice, is a custom function you have to write in Go because the language as well as the standard library is very small in Go by design. Python's ecosystem is more mature and just much much larger. So I expect both languages will continue to see growth for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I am curious why a store version is preferred over what you can get from https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
                    Have to open a browser, have to find it on the web, have to decide platform, version, architecture, then the installer asks me a bunch of questions, half of which I don't even understand (for instance, I have no idea, nor do I care what a "python launcher" is, or if I want it installed for all users on the system), while the one I install from store is just one click and it just works. And also auto-updates. As a user, a store installation is much more smoother.

In any case, it's already up in the store, already using it, so all is well.
                    Last edited by anarki2; 25 October 2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Does the Windows Store version install Python to C:\Program Files\python or to yet another of those GUID-type directories?
                      Store apps normally install to the user profile, therefore Python does so too. Much like Flatpak. Users manage their own apps, without elevation. I see it as a pro, not as a con.

Comment

Working...
                      X