Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Promotes Its Open-Source Terminal To The Default For Windows 11 CLI Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Promotes Its Open-Source Terminal To The Default For Windows 11 CLI Apps

Phoronix: Microsoft Promotes Its Open-Source Terminal To The Default For Windows 11 CLI Apps

As some interesting open-source news out of Microsoft today, their open-source Windows Termina that has been in development the past few years and providing many modern features is now the default beginning with Windows 11 22H2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Better 27 years late than never, I suppose.

Comment

I like Windows 11 and Windows Terminal.
      Now with .NET 6 and MAUI maybe Microsoft ought to port it to Linux.

Comment

Michael

Typos/grammar

"their open-source Windows Termina that" should be "their open-source Windows Terminal that" (missing "L")

"the Windows Terminal is assuming the" should probably be "the Windows Terminal will assume the"

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
          Michael

Typos/grammar

"their open-source Windows Termina that" should be "their open-source Windows Terminal that" (missing "L")

"the Windows Terminal is assuming the" should probably be "the Windows Terminal will assume the"
          Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
          As some interesting open-source news out of Microsoft today, their open-source Windows Termina that has been in development the past few years and providing many modern features is now the default beginning with Windows 11 22H2.

Comment

Good stuff indeed.

Comment

This terminal seems to be on top of Power Shell and if so since the latter feels sluggish I'm not sure how snappy this new terminal will feel.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                This terminal seems to be on top of Power Shell and if so since the latter feels sluggish I'm not sure how snappy this new terminal will feel.
                Its not? It defaults to using Powershell, but you can change that default to anything you want. You can set it to Git Shell if that is installed.

It is not built in or on top of Powershell.

Comment

What a garbage compared to Konsole.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                    What a garbage compared to Konsole.
                    To be fair; even XTerm has more (useful) functionality. And personally having the arguments passed as command line arguments is so much nicer for startup scripts than fiddling around in all the naff configuration menus in the Windows Terminal; stored in some random JSON merged with boilerplate eliminating forward compatible configs.

Not Terminal specific but Windows still has no decent native shell to actually use inside it. Powershell still starts up very slowly (especially when ran from inside Vim) and even still has that "Try the new powershell ${CURRENT}+1" advert spam when started.

The terminal tabs are an OK feature but honestly a decent native tmux on Windows would be preferable when logging in remotely via SSH.

Gosh, I had forgotten that there is still so much I dislike about using Windows. It is basically about 20 years behind. Any improvements just don't *quite* do the right thing.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 18 October 2022, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X