Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel Looks To Drop Support For Intel's ICC Compiler

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Looks To Drop Support For Intel's ICC Compiler

While LLVM Clang is increasingly being used by various developers and organizations for building the mainline Linux kernel as complementary support to the GCC compiler that has long been the predominant compiler target, Intel's ICC compiler has also been able to build the Linux kernel albeit not widely used. Kernel developers are now looking at removing that ICC compiler support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think i tried to compile it years ago. But wasnt able to. If i remember it correctly i havent put a lot of work into it because i thought it ist official supported any way so... But it was

Comment

Dropping more legacy stuff out, great news!

Comment

I remember ICC being pretty big in AAA gaming spaces (and some HPC spaces perhaps), but it seems Clang and MSVC are dominating there now (including consoles which use Clang-based compilers).

Comment

The dead LinuxDNA project likely weeps over this. People really wanted to build Linux with ICC years ago and were actively maintaining patches to do it.

Comment

Was about time. The ICC compilers were among the most dishonest compilers on the market. They were deliberately crippling the performance of non-Intel CPU's. Intel lost a court case to AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              I think i tried to compile it years ago. But wasnt able to. If i remember it correctly i havent put a lot of work into it because i thought it ist official supported any way so... But it was
              Then work on it and send patches.

Comment

My experiments with ICC on Linux always ended sooner or later with a non-bootable or non-usable system, this experience did not improve with the new icx. Case closed.

Comment

It's all GCC and Clang now, good duo. I remember when ICC produced interesting results, but that was about a decade ago.

Comment

I believe ICC is based on Clang these days anyway. I know Intel's OneAPI compiler is too.
                    Embarcadero's BCC moved to Clang too.

Monocultures aren't great but at least it is a fairly decent open-source compiler.

Comment

Working...
                    X