• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by ryao View Post

Then work on it and send patches.
    back then you had to pay for the ICC and i was not sure how long the it department is going to subscribe for a license (public research facility). Better dont get trapped in the vendor lockin. It was more a "curiosity thing".

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    I believe ICC is based on Clang these days anyway.
    About a year ago Intel announced that they moved to the LLVM stack for their compiler, and phoronix picked that up: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-LLVM-Adoption-C-CPP

And IBM announced their move to the LLVM stack about a year before that for their XL compiler suite.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    I believe ICC is based on Clang these days anyway. I know Intel's OneAPI compiler is too.
    Embarcadero's BCC moved to Clang too.

Monocultures aren't great but at least it is a fairly decent open-source compiler.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    It's all GCC and Clang now, good duo. I remember when ICC produced interesting results, but that was about a decade ago.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    My experiments with ICC on Linux always ended sooner or later with a non-bootable or non-usable system, this experience did not improve with the new icx. Case closed.

Leave a comment:

• ryao
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    I think i tried to compile it years ago. But wasnt able to. If i remember it correctly i havent put a lot of work into it because i thought it ist official supported any way so... But it was
    Then work on it and send patches.

Leave a comment:

• lowflyer
    replied
    Was about time. The ICC compilers were among the most dishonest compilers on the market. They were deliberately crippling the performance of non-Intel CPU's. Intel lost a court case to AMD.

Leave a comment:

• ryao
    replied
    The dead LinuxDNA project likely weeps over this. People really wanted to build Linux with ICC years ago and were actively maintaining patches to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    I remember ICC being pretty big in AAA gaming spaces (and some HPC spaces perhaps), but it seems Clang and MSVC are dominating there now (including consoles which use Clang-based compilers).

Leave a comment:

• direc85
    replied
    Dropping more legacy stuff out, great news!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X