Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

uutils 0.0.16 Released As Rust-Based GNU Coreutils Replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • uutils 0.0.16 Released As Rust-Based GNU Coreutils Replacement

    Phoronix: uutils 0.0.16 Released As Rust-Based GNU Coreutils Replacement

    Among the many Rust-written projects that have been gaining steam in recent years has been uutils as a Rust-based replacement to GNU Coreutils that is commonly used on Linux systems. Out today is uutils 0.0.16 as the latest step in this Rust-replacement quest...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/uutils-0.0.16

  • #2
    I wonder if the main focus here is not Rust itself, but the MIT license?

    Coreutils have been a part of the GNU ecosystem for a long time. Are there really many issues with them?

    Comment


    • #3
      Rust ecosystem seems more MIT/BSD friendly than GPL.

      Is it a conspiracy?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
        Coreutils have been a part of the GNU ecosystem for a long time. Are there really many issues with them?
        There is absolutely something wrong with it.
        To the author(s), coreutils has been struck with the NIH syndrome.

        It's an especially fascinating syndrome.
        Both the author or the actual subject can catch it.
        Much like a contagious disease.

        The end result is terminally similar though.
        A bunch of work for very little to no show.

        Comment


        • #5
          Is something wrong with the site? I swear, there were 4 pages of comments before in this article, and now suddenly I'm writing this on the back of just 2 comments? Or was there another Rust-related article I was reading and it's just my mind playing tricks on me?

          Edit: no, I'm pretty sure there were comments on this article discussing the number of dependencies being pulled in...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by akarypid View Post
            Is something wrong with the site? I swear, there were 4 pages of comments before in this article, and now suddenly I'm writing this on the back of just 2 comments? Or was there another Rust-related article I was reading and it's just my mind playing tricks on me?

            Edit: no, I'm pretty sure there were comments on this article discussing the number of dependencies being pulled in...
            One thing that I have recently noticed is that some comments are just gone when you're logged in.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by akarypid View Post
              Is something wrong with the site? I swear, there were 4 pages of comments before in this article, and now suddenly I'm writing this on the back of just 2 comments? Or was there another Rust-related article I was reading and it's just my mind playing tricks on me?

              Edit: no, I'm pretty sure there were comments on this article discussing the number of dependencies being pulled in...
              I don't know if this is the case here, but sometimes the headline has a typo that gets fixed so all the comments are lost due to the how the site is programmed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rmnscnce View Post

                One thing that I have recently noticed is that some comments are just gone when you're logged in.
                Reason I noticed is because paging through the comments (i.e. going from page X to X+1) seemed to make Firefox go rampant on memory allocation.

                I had just disabled extensions and restarted to see if the problem was Firefox itself, or one of the extensions I have. But after the restart there was only one page of comments...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Rust ecosystem seems more MIT/BSD friendly than GPL.

                  Is it a conspiracy?
                  Not a conspiracy. I think commercial interests like MIT more so that's where money goes more and more. Ultimately I think it is not good for the ecosystem as a whole because development could happen behind closed doors and not be given back to the community.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It isn't a MIT conspiracy. This project has been active since well before the Rust programming language even released. It's just a lot of people pooling efforts to recreate GNU coreutils in Rust.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X