Rust Porting Begins For Intel's "e1000" Linux Network Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    ... why does Rust, in 2022, still require a semicolon at the end of the line? Sheesh...
    To distinguish between newlines in the middle of expressions, and the end of a statement. Do you write programs?

Comment

• Originally posted by microcode View Post

To distinguish between newlines in the middle of expressions, and the end of a statement. Do you write programs?
      clearly he would prefer commas

Comment

• Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Cool!

What driver or subsystem of Linux would you like to see ported to Rust?
        I'd like some parts ported to Rust in a way such that a minimal kernel can be built without C (so just assembly and Rust). I know from rust-embedded that you can actually define interfaces in C ABI without actually writing any C. Assembly can build a C compatible stack before jumping to that C ABI interface so I think this is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          the keyword from C where it means something completely different
          Fun fact, the C23 standard will repurpose the auto keyword to have a behavior akin to the one on C++.

Comment

• Originally posted by microcode View Post

That was tongue-in-cheek

Comment

• Originally posted by zexelon View Post

But for some reason this code style just feel so dirty!
              Can't say I disagree. I've said it numerous times I'm not a big fan of Rust's syntax. But picking on syntax and missing the real benefits of Rust feel so childish.

Comment

• Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Can't say I disagree. I've said it numerous times I'm not a big fan of Rust's syntax. But picking on syntax and missing the real benefits of Rust feel so childish.
                Syntax is very important, because you're dealing with it all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Volta View Post

Syntax is very important, because you're dealing with it all the time.
                  I would say as long as the syntax is descriptive and clear enough for the user to understand I don't care if it uses Pascal style BEGIN/END blocks, dcl/var/val/let for declarations, different flavours of for-loops, goto or labelled jumps/breaks or neither, imperative, OO, flow-oriented, lambda, etc. pp. I have seen and used so many languages in my professional career it's really of no importance - as song as you and others can consistently get back on track when you resume a project after some months of switching.

Comment

• I much prefer the python style identation based syntax but that doesn't hold me back from languages with classic brackets and semicolon. After all a programmer has to have a certain level of intelligence and abstract thinking. If someone has to constantly switch languages it might get a little confusing here and there but nothing different from natural languages.

And there are IDEs that help you with much of the syntax, so you don't really need to remember everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmnscnce View Post
                      Yeah. This is standardization of an already widely available GNU C extension which will make it more closer but not exactly the same to the way C++ 11 uses it. Not a huge deal but an incremental step forward. C 23 is expected to also borrow things like constexpr from C++. Having used a similar feature in Go, I think embed is nice. I haven't reviewed the others yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X