Rust Porting Begins For Intel's "e1000" Linux Network Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roughl View Post

Let is also very common when talking about variables in math, like: "Let x equal 10". See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_expression for example.
    Yes, but it makes more sense imo. It implies there's some logic involved. When I want to reserve some memory for variable I shouldn't care if there's some hidden compiler's logic behind this. It should just reserve memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

i += 1;​

Really? Also 'let this, let that'. This is some js syntax bullshit. Couldn't they keep it more C like?
      It is not syntax bullshit. The i++, ++i, etc are confusing and can lead to undefined behaviors and differences among compilers.
      Example:
      PHP Code:
      var 10;
      i++;
      // Is i now 10 or 11? 
      New programing language often do away with i++ and ++i in favor of i += 1. Some languages such as Swift which previously supported i++ have removed that syntax.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Exactly. So my point is that perhaps Rust's strengths are not ideal here. It will all just be bindings and unsafe {} sections.
        For a completely trivial driver I would agree. However most modern drivers aren't written for OS's built in the 90's where drivers were largely just memory mapped IO. From what I can tell they deliberately picked a trivial driver just to see if there were roadblocks, the real payoff is in more typical modern day drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

For a completely trivial driver I would agree. However most modern drivers aren't written for OS's built in the 90's where drivers were largely just memory mapped IO. From what I can tell they deliberately picked a trivial driver just to see if there were roadblocks, the real payoff is in more typical modern day drivers.
          That's fair. I am excited to see how this one plays out either way.

Comment

I think (and hope) it's not such common when value equals 1. I've just check and incrementation and decrementation in C like way is not possible in Rust. WTF? .
            It is uncommon because collections in languages like Python and Rust allow you to loop through them without manually incrementing them.

Originally posted by Volta
            I'm not used to beg someone to 'let' me something. The one who chose this word must be some kind of beta. I'd prefer something like: auto name_of_var. 'Let' is completely unintuitive. Thanks for explanation btw.
            Programming is not English and even in English let is many contexts is used to say "make this happen" or even as a warning: "let him try"

to cause to : make; to give opportunity to or fail to prevent; —used in the imperative to introduce a request or proposal… See the full definition

Let has a completely different context in programming, mostly originating from math: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_expression

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              That's exactly the problem. Let should only be used for functional languages, which Rust is not. There's a reason they're so cryptic for programmers instead of math nerds. Keep that shit away from structured languages.
              Let has been used in many many non functional languages starting with BASIC (like 50 years ago) and more recently Swift and Kotlin. You are just unaware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Let has been used in many many non functional languages starting with BASIC (like 50 years ago) and more recently Swift and Kotlin. You are just unaware of it.
                Its hilarious seeing these people pick minor syntax grievances from a language even though such syntax has been quite common place for decades (as you pointed out).

Lets call it out as it is, these complaints are really just distraction/venting mechanism for people that don't like Rust for largely irrational reasons. I am also not a fan of Rust's syntax (they admitted they copied C++ syntax to make it easier for C++ people to migrate over even though arguably there are much nicer syntax's, i.e. Ruby/Scala) however in the grand scheme of things its a really minor gripe.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  That's exactly the problem. Let should only be used for functional languages, which Rust is not. There's a reason they're so cryptic for programmers instead of math nerds. Keep that shit away from structured languages.
                  Rust is also a functional language.

I honestly don't understand how you guys where ever able to learn any programming language, if you already hang up on such a simple thing like let. I'm just a hobby programmer and needed nothing else than one code example to get how this works.

Comment

i += 1;​

Really? Also 'let this, let that'. This is some js syntax bullshit. Couldn't they keep it more C like?
                    What would you prefer instead of let? var? val? :=?
                    You do realize these are all representations of the same thing and whichever you pick, can be argued against just as easily.

Comment

i += 1;​

Lack of inc/dec operators is a feature, not a bug. "i = i++ + ++i" is undefined behavior which Rust can't have.
                      The "let" syntax allows (among other reasons) for better tooling and also simpler manual grepping through the sources, as a side effect. But it has a purpose as a functional construct, it's irrefutable pattern matching, not just variable declaration.

Comment

Working...
                      X