Cloudflare Ditches Nginx For In-House, Rust-Written Pingora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Did you read some propaganda from the 2000s bro?
    maybe https://verdagon.dev/blog/fearless-ffi

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

That is not reason Rust was created. In fact Rust doesn't have many things C++ does and it is intentionally not existing there (like exceptions). It is simply C/C++ that is memory safe that does every possible check on compile time.
      It'd be more accurate to say that the relationship between C, C++, and Rust is like the relationship between CVS, Subversion, and DVCSes like Git and Mercurial.

C++/Subversion was an attempt at "a better C/CVS", but it proved to have flaws it couldn't shake, so people who still needed a better alternative to C/CVS took a second crack at the problem and, instead of looking to improve on the existing design, went back to build out from the requirements that inspired it in the first place.

...so Rust is more an independent second crack at "a better tool to fill C's niche" than an attempt at "C++ done right".​

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
        That sounds very similar to wasm and I read in the link that they are heading that direction using "wasm2c".
        With wasm, any language can be sandboxed and provides a safe FFI for not only vale, but also Rust, Java or Python.

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
          That link and others from the same blog popped up in /r/rust/ a while ago. As I remember, Vale's biggest problem is that it hasn't actually been implemented yet and it reflects poorly on the creator that they speak with such confidence that their ideas that have never been implemented before will work as well as they claim in the real world.

(The whole "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." ivory tower academic thing, except, this time, not being published in an academic journal or press.)

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Patterns, tooling, language features, etc. are born from necessity most often than not because someone have to solve a problem the current tolling/languages/etc. cannot solve efficiently, aka they not born from thin air and then developers come like "ohh, nice this feature/language/tool just popped on my desktop now i can design this better". just in case you wondered.
            The entire rust language *is* the new tooling. They aren't even alone.

The window is closing for any new SPL to not be memory safe. Those are now the table stakes.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I think this is the major point people are missing. While most of the performance gain was due to a different architecture, making sure such an architecture is free of concurrency/memory/data race bugs is much easier in Rust than C.

This is what allows Rust to be faster in practice, its not that the language itself is 1on1 significantly faster than C but allows you to more easily create the most optimal program without having to worry about a certain class of bugs.

In fact a lot of programs written in C (including NGinx) have a per thread model basically because they don't want to deal with hard to debug concurrency bugs due to having shared data structures across different threads. In Rust, Go and JVM based languages like Java/Scala this is pretty much a non issue.

In C? Well good luck, especially if your business is not trivial.
              Ok so I tried to find some real world examples of professional, not amateur/noob mistakes, and I can't really find. Show some examples?

By far the most common "mistake" I see when people give example of Rust's "memory safety" is idiots returning the address of a stack variable. Who the actual fuck makes that mistake? You'd be fired on the SPOT if you did that in an interview. In fact most of the time this thing isn't even worth interviewing because it's literally only pisslows who do it.

The other examples typically given is casts of course, but casts are ugly in C++ for a reason. They stand out just as much as "unsafe" blocks in Rust.

And lastly it's people who give examples about standard library functions (mostly from C), which is an API issue, not language.

If we talk about misusing memory APIs, you can literally use HeapAlloc/HeapFree in Rust the same way I presume, unless they're "magically" marked by the language in some way (which is cheating, let's be honest, they're Windows API functions, not Rust's; you could mark them in C/C++ headers as well with compiler attributes). i.e. shooting yourself in the foot. And if you mean using the Rust standard library, then well, C++ has RAII and smart pointers.

So...? I really want to know a high profile mistake done by serious professionals not pisslow kids. I'm not sarcastic, I really want to know.

If I see another example of returning address of stack variable (which even the fucking C++ compiler warns about) I will forever spread hatred about Rust. Is that the best they can do?

Comment

Originally posted by pixelherodev
                The programming language has nothing to do with it. Their proxy makes 1/3rd the connections, and thus uses 1/3rd the resources. It's a direct correlation. Nginx could be modified to see the same exact win, but it'd be nontrivial, which is exactly why CloudFlare says they didn't do it.​
                It'd be nontrivial because we're talking about C. Hell, they even say that in the article. (why did you skip this part?)

Meanwhile, the programming languages we had to work with didn’t provide help alleviating the difficulties. NGINX is purely in C, which is not memory safe by design. It is very error-prone to work with such a 3rd party code base. It is quite easy to get into memory safety issues, even for experienced engineers, and we wanted to avoid these as much as possible.​

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Ok so I tried to find some real world examples of professional, not amateur/noob mistakes, and I can't really find. Show some examples?

By far the most common "mistake" I see when people give example of Rust's "memory safety" is idiots returning the address of a stack variable.
                  Concurrency bugs are the obvious candidate. Why do you think Rust was created? If C++ was adequate for professionals, then why do the engineers at Mozilla think it's not adequate for their browser?

You can go read about the problems they had involving data races yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post

By far the most common "mistake" I see when people give example of Rust's "memory safety" is idiots returning the address of a stack variable. Who the actual fuck makes that mistake? You'd be fired on the SPOT if you did that in an interview. In fact most of the time this thing isn't even worth interviewing because it's literally only pisslows who do it.

The other examples typically given is casts of course, but casts are ugly in C++ for a reason. They stand out just as much as "unsafe" blocks in Rust.

And lastly it's people who give examples about standard library functions (mostly from C), which is an API issue, not language.

If we talk about misusing memory APIs, you can literally use HeapAlloc/HeapFree in Rust the same way I presume, unless they're "magically" marked by the language in some way (which is cheating, let's be honest, they're Windows API functions, not Rust's; you could mark them in C/C++ headers as well with compiler attributes). i.e. shooting yourself in the foot. And if you mean using the Rust standard library, then well, C++ has RAII and smart pointers.

So...? I really want to know a high profile mistake done by serious professionals not pisslow kids. I'm not sarcastic, I really want to know.

If I see another example of returning address of stack variable (which even the fucking C++ compiler warns about) I will forever spread hatred about Rust. Is that the best they can do?
                    There is no way to answer your question on a forum because its too big of an answer, but in general your comment only really make sense with really trivial/small code and completely falls apart when you are actually working on an actual codebase with thousands/hundreds/millions of lines of code and this is where safety guarantees around concurrency really start paying off since the number of interactions in your codebase typically scales exponentially the larger your code base is. Especially when you start implementing real concurrency/multithreading in your program, the problems with concurrency/multithreading really propagate to the rest of your program which is why a lot of C programmers either avoid multithreading or only use it for real low hanging fruit. One reason why a lot of the Rust equivalents are beating C programs is because the Rust programs take advantage of concurrency much more in C, and this is a lot easier in Rust.

To drive this point further you also have to understand the context, Rust was created in Mozilla precisely because of how unproductive/inefficient/difficult it was to deal with these concurrency/memory problems on what is arguably one of the largest open source C/C++ codebases , aside from the Linux kernel, Firefox. Its not even due to size why Firefox is complex, its also a web browser which arguably aside from game engines or operating systems is one of the hardest types of programs to make.

EDIT: Fun fact, one strong argument for why functional/purely functional programming started getting much more popular over time (in contrast to C imperative style) is that when you start implementing concurrency in your program, due to how it interacts with the rest of the program a lot of the abstractions/idioms in C style imperative programming fall apart for one reason or another, i.e. relying some form of global state which is typically implicit in a lot of C programs suddenly doesn't work so nicely because you know have to deal with multiple threads accessing that same state at once.
                    Last edited by mdedetrich; 18 September 2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

1.) thread leaks are fixable on any language.
                      2.) it have costs on any language.

Rust just do it for you, so is less verbose and less error prone + certain automatic check that aren't free either.

Also i don't care the language they used nor i hate they used rust, i was stating that the big 90%+ of the performance benefit don't come from the language but the design change because as always some rust evangelist was spouting crap on the first posts.

And i maintain my position if you base your design on a language feature you should be fired(talking about a professional enterprise environment) on the spot, hence i believe first the design was approved and then rust was decided on because that feature fit the design paradigm and give it an edge over other languages specially since is an all new code base. that is all.

right tool for the right job, evangelize a language is for idiots.
                      I mostly agree but not totally. For example if language is perfect for heavy majority of use cases you are about to implement but there is one architectural point not compatible with it, that doesn't mean you should abandon that language. For example mentioned Rust doesn't have inheritance and doesn't have exceptions but those issues are resolvable.

Rust also is important here performance wise because design Cloudflare did is very hard to implement secure way in languages in C. You need language that has certain security guarantees with as big performance as possible. Fact you can do something in C doesn't mean it will be secure, and languages with similar security guarantees like Go are slower. When you have all threads accessing same connection it is very hard to make it in C securly. Rust design patterns allow you to do that with much less pain.

Comment

Working...
                      X