PyTorch Foundation Formed By Meta, AMD, NVIDIA, & Others To Advance AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Setif View Post

You missed Alphabet (Google), AWS (Amazon) and Azure (Microsoft)
    It's the other way around: Google (Alphabet, Inc.)

People should use Meta/Facebook, Meta (Facebook), or Meta Platforms... as long as people just don't use "Meta" by itself. It's confusing by design.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

It's the other way around: Google (Alphabet, Inc.)

People should use Meta/Facebook, Meta (Facebook), or Meta Platforms... as long as people just don't use "Meta" by itself. It's confusing by design.
      Alphabet is confusing too as it reminds of the alphabet. And Google is confusing too as it reminds me of googly eye toys. And Azure is confusing too as it reminds me of the Côte d'Azur. And Microsoft is confusing too as it sounds like a small (micro) company making software. And AWS is confusing too as it can mean many things, like American Welding Society (yes, that exists!) for example.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Why do you say that? Vega did introduce packed arithmetic, but RDNA also has it. I guess the biggest problem with RDNA is that lacks the matrix extensions found in CDNA. You could also cite memory bandwidth, but Infinity Cache can be useful for that.
        Yeah, the narrow RDNA2 bus (compared to Vega's very wide HBM2 bus) is part of it, and cache doesn't really compensate for that in ML.

But these architectures don't exist in a vacuum. Vega's desktop AI competition was Pascal, but RDNA2's theoretical ML performance compared to Ampere or even Turing is rather poor.

AMD bifurcated their compute and gaming designs, and even if performance didn't technically regress, Nvidia continued to push desktop AI performance hard.
        Last edited by brucethemoose; 14 September 2022, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Alphabet is confusing too as it reminds of the alphabet. And Google is confusing too as it reminds me of googly eye toys. And Azure is confusing too as it reminds me of the Côte d'Azur. And Microsoft is confusing too as it sounds like a small (micro) company making software. And AWS is confusing too as it can mean many things, like American Welding Society (yes, that exists!) for example.
          funny guy

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
            Yeah, the narrow RDNA2 bus (compared to Vega's very wide HBM2 bus) is part of it, and cache doesn't really compensate for that in ML.
            According to the Hot Chips presentations I've looked at, the trend in AI chips seems to be towards very large amounts of on-die SRAM (up to ~1 GB). Infinity Cache is absolutely in line with that concept, even if it currently tops out at just 128 MB.

The reason it matters is that cutting-edge deep learning models are huge, with the consequence that you burn a lot more bandwidth reading the model weights than you do reading/writing the data propagating through it. So, the optimization people do is called "batching", where they read & apply a portion of the model to a batch of data samples (e.g. video frames or images), before fetching and applying the next part of the model.

This optimization does work with infinity cache, to some degree, and would deliver a benefit since the Infinity Cache is connected through a higher-bandwidth link and involves less power to access. It's not as good as on-die SRAM, but still better than external DRAM.

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
            Vega's desktop AI competition was Pascal, but RDNA2's theoretical ML performance compared to Ampere or even Turing is rather poor.
            For training, Vega was actually facing Volta, which had not only HBM2, but also Tensor cores. That was not an even match up. For inferencing, it was facing Pascal GPUs that had dp4a (dot product + accumulate of 4-element int8), which Vega also couldn't answer.

So, AMD was never truly competitive with Nvidia, in AI. The CDNA chips are a different story, but still getting leap-frogged on AI and only truly competing at HPC.

Comment

Working...
            X