Richard Stallman Announces GNU C Language Reference Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
    If you hadn't said who'd written this, I'd have guessed.
    I am surprised that he even suggested Java instead of Clojure 🙂.

I personally find Scheme a great language to reason about programming. I don’t consider it beginner friendly though.

And to be pedantic, it should have been “Common Lisp and Scheme”, because Lisp refers to family of languages, with Scheme being one of its many dialects.
    Last edited by amxfonseca; 06 September 2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Displacer View Post

There were some compilation warnings (about cross references and some more) so I am not sure this compilation is 100% correct (table of contents is absent for example).
      I got a full table of contents. How did you compile it? Here's mine: https://archive.org/download/c_20220906_20220906

The one mistake I see is that the word "Manual" on the cover page bleeds off the page to the right. But everything else looks decently formatted.
      Last edited by andyprough; 06 September 2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I got a full table of contents. How did you compile it? Here's mine: https://archive.org/download/c_20220906_20220906

The one mistake I see is that the word "Manual" on the cover page bleeds off the page to the right. But everything else looks decently formatted.
        with TeX, Version 3.141592653 (TeX Live 2021 Gentoo Linux)
        app-text/texlive-core-2021-r1

Comment

I wouldn't expect him to ever include it, but I still laughed at the exclusion of rust.
          On the one hand, it can do any job C can but doesn't allow those mistakes. It even has pointers (of a sort).
          At the same time, GNU will stick to what it has until the project is dead. They'll never re-implement things.
          Nevermind ideological differences like the propensity towards permissive licences in the rust community.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            So this is basically a C reference manual for "non-standards" and extensions?

In that case, why doesn't he call it something fancy like Google did with Carbon ("non-standard" extensions to C++)?

riChard, StaCCman, rmsC, Crust... hmm, it is difficult.

And available from more devices than those that actually support compiling and running Rust ironically
            I checked yesterday and was shocked to find I could compile rust on linux/m68k or netbsd/arm64, but not netbsd/m68k!

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
              I wouldn't expect him to ever include it, but I still laughed at the exclusion of rust.
              On the one hand, it can do any job C can but doesn't allow those mistakes. It even has pointers (of a sort).
              At the same time, GNU will stick to what it has until the project is dead. They'll never re-implement things.
              Nevermind ideological differences like the propensity towards permissive licences in the rust community.
              This is C language reference. Why to mention Rust? It is perfectly ok to not mention anything except C. If you need a Rust reference or, for example, Haskell reference, write it yourself and mention everything you want.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Not so much your age as ignorance and lack of ability to search before speaking. Texinfo files (and perhaps more commonly LaTeX) are just source files you use to generate final typeset output... they are still in common use for producing technical and research papers.
                Technical and reasearch papers written in texinfo? I've never seen one. LaTeX is very common, and so are word processors in non-formula-heavy areas, and I think I've even seen the odd paper written in roff. But texinfo I've only ever seen in GNU documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
                  I wouldn't be surprised if RMS didn't even know what Rust is. While he made some big contributions in the beginning (despite his faults even back then), he seems just disconnected from… everything the last 15 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Technical and reasearch papers written in texinfo? I've never seen one. LaTeX is very common, and so are word processors in non-formula-heavy areas, and I think I've even seen the odd paper written in roff. But texinfo I've only ever seen in GNU documentation.
                    yeah... pull your head out your butt ok? Since you apparently can't grok that I mentioned LaTeX in my own comment. Texinfo is just a minor variation on TeX same as LaTeX.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if RMS didn't even know what Rust is. While he made some big contributions in the beginning (despite his faults even back then), he seems just disconnected from… everything the last 15 years or so.
                      I think you are underestimating a person with a strong Lisp knowledge (and some other languages) and compiler creation skills. GCC and Emacs are his well known projects.

For me, it is worth mentioning Pascal as a first language to learn.

Comment

Working...
                      X