Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Stallman Announces GNU C Language Reference Manual

Phoronix: Richard Stallman Announces GNU C Language Reference Manual

GNU founder Richard Stallman has recently been working on crafting a GNU C Language introduction and reference manual...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can I show my age and ask: wtf is a Texi file?

Also if you want to set a reference manual in 2022, is it really pertinent to use formats that probably haven't seen any light since the 1980s?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post

Also if you want to set a reference manual in 2022, is it really pertinent to use formats that probably haven't seen any light since the 1980s?
      I was able to compile it into a PDF by installing the texlive and texinfo packages, cloning the git directory with:
      git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/c-intro-and-ref.git

Then running 'make' on the git directory, which created a compressed file. Extract that file, get a folder called c-manual, cd into the c-manual folder and run:
      texi2pdf c.texi

That created a 'c.pdf' file in the same folder.

This is my first time working with raw texi files, so there are probably far better ways to do the above, but I did get a PDF version from it.
      Last edited by andyprough; 06 September 2022, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post

IIRC, this is the format that GNU info pages are written in. So the people involved in writing this probably used it because they already know it.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I was able to compile it into a PDF by installing the texlive and texinfo packages, cloning the git directory with:
          git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/c-intro-and-ref.git

Then running 'make' on the git directory, which created a compressed file. Extract that file, get a folder called c-manual, cd into the c-manual folder and run:
          texi2pdf c.texi

That created a 'c.pdf' file in the same folder.

This is my first time working with raw texi files, so there are probably far better ways to do the above, but I did get a PDF version from it.
          Wow, installing Ubuntu needs less steps nowadays. Anyway, back to reading Rust Book available online from any device

Comment

Can someone post a compiled pdf somewhere?

Comment

So this is basically a C reference manual for "non-standards" and extensions?

In that case, why doesn't he call it something fancy like Google did with Carbon ("non-standard" extensions to C++)?

riChard, StaCCman, rmsC, Crust... hmm, it is difficult.

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
              Anyway, back to reading Rust Book available online from any device
              And available from more devices than those that actually support compiling and running Rust ironically
              Last edited by kpedersen; 06 September 2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Not being a C programmer myself, I have to ask: is a GNU C manual a good thing? On one hand, I believe ANSI C should be everybody's target. On the other hand, if GNU C follows ANSI C closely enough and the manual only explains choices made in the areas where the spec is lacking/undefined, then no harm, no foul.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  And available from more devices than those that actually support compiling and running Rust ironically
                  Old man shakes fist at youngsters
                  Last edited by IActuallyKnowItAll; 06 September 2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    So this is basically a C reference manual for "non-standards" and extensions?

In that case, why doesn't he call it something fancy like Google did with Carbon ("non-standard" extensions to C++)?

riChard, StaCCman, rmsC, Crust... hmm, it is difficult.

Looks like a manual to learn C, but it focuses on the GNU C dialect.

Comment

Working...
                    X