X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
    Can I show my age and ask: wtf is a Texi file?
    Texinfo. It's FSF's adaptation of the TeX typesetting language for making hyperlinked reference manuals. You can think of it as their attempt to supersede man pages. Its primary client was meant to be the info browser, but I think its traction was mostly limited to Emacs users.

These days, the most popular way to view Texinfo docs is via HTML. If you've ever viewed the HTML docs for tools like grep or gcc, you've been looking at docs authored in Texinfo.

Separately, some industry players (Sun, and I forget who else) created a XML-based successor to the legacy manpage formats, based on XML Docbook. It's more structured and semantically rich than Texinfo, but I say that having never written or edited a single line of a .texi file (though I did write more than enough LATEX).

Also if you want to set a reference manual in 2022, is it really pertinent to use formats that probably haven't seen any light since the 1980s?
    Well, it's a text-based markup language. Those work a lot better in source control systems than binary files edited in WYSIWYG editors.

Leave a comment:

• evasb
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    So this is basically a C reference manual for "non-standards" and extensions?

In that case, why doesn't he call it something fancy like Google did with Carbon ("non-standard" extensions to C++)?

riChard, StaCCman, rmsC, Crust... hmm, it is difficult.

And available from more devices than those that actually support compiling and running Rust ironically
    Looks like a manual to learn C, but it focuses on the GNU C dialect.

Leave a comment:

• IActuallyKnowItAll
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    And available from more devices than those that actually support compiling and running Rust ironically
    Old man shakes fist at youngsters
    Last edited by IActuallyKnowItAll; 06 September 2022, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Not being a C programmer myself, I have to ask: is a GNU C manual a good thing? On one hand, I believe ANSI C should be everybody's target. On the other hand, if GNU C follows ANSI C closely enough and the manual only explains choices made in the areas where the spec is lacking/undefined, then no harm, no foul.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    So this is basically a C reference manual for "non-standards" and extensions?

In that case, why doesn't he call it something fancy like Google did with Carbon ("non-standard" extensions to C++)?

riChard, StaCCman, rmsC, Crust... hmm, it is difficult.

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Anyway, back to reading Rust Book available online from any device
    Last edited by kpedersen; 06 September 2022, 10:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ClosedSource
    replied
    Can someone post a compiled pdf somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• V1tol
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I was able to compile it into a PDF by installing the texlive and texinfo packages, cloning the git directory with:
    git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/c-intro-and-ref.git

Then running 'make' on the git directory, which created a compressed file. Extract that file, get a folder called c-manual, cd into the c-manual folder and run:
    texi2pdf c.texi

That created a 'c.pdf' file in the same folder.

This is my first time working with raw texi files, so there are probably far better ways to do the above, but I did get a PDF version from it.
    Wow, installing Ubuntu needs less steps nowadays. Anyway, back to reading Rust Book available online from any device

Leave a comment:

• archkde
    replied

Also if you want to set a reference manual in 2022, is it really pertinent to use formats that probably haven't seen any light since the 1980s?
    IIRC, this is the format that GNU info pages are written in. So the people involved in writing this probably used it because they already know it.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied

I was able to compile it into a PDF by installing the texlive and texinfo packages, cloning the git directory with:
    git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/c-intro-and-ref.git

Then running 'make' on the git directory, which created a compressed file. Extract that file, get a folder called c-manual, cd into the c-manual folder and run:
    texi2pdf c.texi

That created a 'c.pdf' file in the same folder.

This is my first time working with raw texi files, so there are probably far better ways to do the above, but I did get a PDF version from it.
    Last edited by andyprough; 06 September 2022, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mahboi
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X