Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IPFS Supported In FFmpeg 5.1, IPFS Devs Envision Support In More Open-Source Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPFS Supported In FFmpeg 5.1, IPFS Devs Envision Support In More Open-Source Projects

Phoronix: IPFS Supported In FFmpeg 5.1, IPFS Devs Envision Support In More Open-Source Projects

IPFS as the "InterPlanetary File-System" protocol for peer-to-peer network support in decentralized file sharing as a distributed file-system is now supported with FFmpeg 5.1. IPFS developers at Protocol Labs are also looking at expanding support for this protocol to other open-source projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Firefox, Chrome, etc.

Even proprietary software ok too, please.

Comment

Really nice!
      Waiting to see the support in Kodi and VLC.
      And of course in Firefox too if possible.

Comment

To those wanting IPFS support in your browser. You have a couple options for that today!
        1. Use brave, you get IPFS support out of the box
        2. Use IPFS Companion (for chrome, brave, firefox, opera and edge)

My focus (i made the IPFS in ffmpeg support) is to get external tooling to support IPFS too. Right now cURL is far and likely the next one with support. VLC and KODI are on the list but further down. If anyone wants to help (you can even get paid for that) then patches are definitely welcome!

Comment

This article inspired me to read about IPFS a bit more. From a purely technical point of view, this seems like one of the few "decentralized web" projects I could get behind: no shitcoins, no Proof Of anything, just pure crypto hashes to make sure the content has not been tampered with. Is there a catch, given that it's mainly developed by a company, that surely has to have a business model to make money? (To be clear, I don't have a problem with companies making money with reasonable business models, but them not being clear about it makes me suspicious.)

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
            This article inspired me to read about IPFS a bit more. From a purely technical point of view, this seems like one of the few "decentralized web" projects I could get behind: no shitcoins, no Proof Of anything, just pure crypto hashes to make sure the content has not been tampered with. Is there a catch, given that it's mainly developed by a company, that surely has to have a business model to make money? (To be clear, I don't have a problem with companies making money with reasonable business models, but them not being clear about it makes me suspicious.)
            My guess is Filecoin. Not the software itself, the protocol, but hardware for local use, various forms of support, and various forms of storage as a service.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

My guess is Filecoin. Not the software itself, the protocol, but hardware for local use, various forms of support, and various forms of storage as a service.
              So it is a shitcoin after all. Dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                My focus (i made the IPFS in ffmpeg support) is to get external tooling to support IPFS too. Right now cURL is far and likely the next one with support. VLC and KODI are on the list but further down. If anyone wants to help (you can even get paid for that) then patches are definitely welcome!
                Do all these tools ship with a complete IPFS stack? Do they all have to connect to IPFS and pull the files themselves? Do they have a private IPFS storage?

Or is there a daemon running that connects to IPFS and the curl IPFS support is "merely" redirecting ipfs://QMxxx to localhost:12345/ipfs/QMxxx

Comment

To be honest, if it works well, decentralized, reliable and efficient storage is a concept I'd adopt a shitcoin for.

Chia was/is a shitcoin that wasted storage for nothing. Filecoin is IMO a good idea, if they manage to get it efficient enough. My tests with IPFS don't make me hopeful though.

Comment

Not really.
                    You're pulling it out of context and basing your whole idea on that. Never a good idea.

IPFS works without any coins. If you run a node you're part of the network and can access anything on the network. If you don't run a node you can still access anything on the network but via a so called gateway.

If you add a file to IPFS it's available to anyone on the IPFS network as long as there is someone hosting that file. If that is you and if your node is up: sweet! But there is a real need for files being "pinned" (made persistent) by other people. This improves how fast your file can be found and makes it more resilient. You have these so called "pinning services" for that. Most are free for limited amounts of data and paid for larger amounts. Still none of this includes Filecoin.

Filecoin comes in the mix when you want to guarantee data is stored. It's most comparable to tape backup storage, a cold storage. Anything you store on filecoin is contractual stored on there for as long as you paid. Thus far however, data stored on filecoin isn't "immediately" accessible on IPFS (though this is about to change). This is because the node storing your data needs to do "stuff" to make your data available. It therefore also costs filecoin to get your data (yes you pay for storing your data and for retrieving it). The golden mix is to use services where you can "pin" data on IPFS (thus get it immediately available throughout the network) where those pinning services back your data up on filecoin. There are quite a few services that do this but one such service is https://estuary.tech/

I hope this is more educational then the biased first impression of filecoin being a shitcoin. It might still be a shitcoin, just not to my knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                    X