Rust Code For The Linux Kernel Updated With More Features Implemented

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
    Once this lands, I might dabble for the first time in Linux kernel module development. Quite excited for this to land
    C isn't that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post

C isn't that difficult.
      making good C is for me.

Comment

C isn't that difficult.
        On the surface it isn't, but the subtleties run deep,and kernel code adds its own level of trickery. Beyond being difficult to use, you might also be put off by it being (subjective opinon warning) not nice to use.

I used to quite like C and C++. It's a good chunk of my CS years and my first jobs. But they have evolved past my willingness to understand them. I wouldn't have gone back into system programing without Rust (or some hypothetical future language with similar qualities).

Comment

C isn't that difficult.
          The C language isn't, but there's the additional learning curve of good style. And each project has their own conventions, idioms, macros, and utility libraries. All that is over and above learning the relevant parts of kernel architecture. So, I wouldn't minimize the learning curve.

If someone is already well-acquainted with Rust, I think that would be an easier entry point for them to get involved in kernel development.

Comment

C isn't that difficult.
            Sure. The same is true for chess. I can explain it to you in a few minutes.

Comment

C isn't that difficult.
              I have to agree. It is very easy to use memory incorrectly and trigger undefined behavior in C ;-)

Comment

C isn't that difficult.
                The Dunning-Kruger effect is real with C.

Comment

Working...
                X