Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wasmer 3.0 Alpha Released With WASIX Implementation, More Improvements For This WebAssembly Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasmer 3.0 Alpha Released With WASIX Implementation, More Improvements For This WebAssembly Stack

Phoronix: Wasmer 3.0 Alpha Released With WASIX Implementation, More Improvements For This WebAssembly Stack

Wasmer's goal is to be "the universal WebAssembly runtime" with aiming to "run any code on any client" and with Wasmer 3.0 they are furthering the potential for this multi-language, multi-platform WASM stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    or embedding it into other enviornments.

Comment

Any information on how wasix manages access rights, i.e. how one can restrict connections to other systems?

If you use wasmer for plug-ins, restricting access of 3rd party plug-ins could make sense.

Comment

I wonder if WASM could become universal binary format for running apps on many operating systems?
        RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
          I wonder if WASM could become universal binary format for running apps on many operating systems?
          That place was taken before by Java/jar! (At least it's the pretension of Java)
          Last edited by juarezr; 30 July 2022, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juarezr View Post

More like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_i#TIMI
            And I hope less like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_...ility_Standard
            And definitely not Java.
            RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by juarezr View Post

And before that by Dis from Plan9/Inferno.

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
                I agree: not exactly Java.
                But there are some similarities on the pourposes:
                - One ring to rule them all
                - Write once, run anywhere

The major difference maybe is that WebAssembly is open source.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

And before that by Dis from Plan9/Inferno.
                  And before Dis it may have been other forgotten candidates...

Comment

I thought Java WAS the 'write once, run anywhere' language . I know I was VERY excited about this when Java with applets for the web 'hit the market'. I wrote quite a few applets for our company.... But then security got involved and all of sudden our customers IT departments no longer allowed Java to run in a browser.... So had to switch gears. JavaScript took over the web programming role. So didn't quite pan out as intended but still widely used I understand. However WASM is basically an assembly language. So big difference here in that you should be able to 'port' say C/C++, C#, JavaScript, maybe even Java, etc. to, in theory, compile to WASM to run on any hardware which supports running WASM. Anyway that is how read where the language could be heading.

off topic, but ...
                    Speaking of security, seemed every time we had a good thing going, IT would shut it down. When email came along it was very convenient to zip up our executables, hot fixes and such and send to engineers in the field and or customers. This was a awesome! Worked much better than overnight Fed-Ex on a CD (or before that a set of programmed EPROMs). That was eventually shutdown as email servers started rejecting .exe and .zip files. FTP servers ... same. Had to go to SFTP if customer supported that. Seems like every turn, we get our hands slapped for just 'using' the technology as intended . I bet a lot of you out there have similar stories of 'this is great' but then 'nope sorry you can't do that!' .
                    Last edited by rclark; 30 July 2022, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X