Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wasmer 3.0 Alpha Released With WASIX Implementation, More Improvements For This WebAssembly Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Agreed. But with Java's AWT and Swing toolkits and Java Web Start, Sun planned for it to conquer cross-platform client and consumer computing too, including web GUIs. And of course it never did.

Outside Minecraft and some IDEs, I'm not aware of many other successful cross-platform Java apps.
    Yes, I agree on that front. AWT and Swing were not good UI toolkits. Java Web Start was not the worst idea ever but never got traction. Applets were a compatibility disaster and when Oracle (I believe) found a solution it was too late anyway. I remember that our main client product first release was going to be released with an RC version of Java because it had a critical fix for a Swing bug. I don't believe that Minecraft uses Swing anyway.

There are a few applications in Java that are used but their users don't know or care. The Thinkorswim financial app comes to mind: https://www.tdameritrade.com/tools-a...m/desktop.html

Comment

Working...
    X