Google Engineers Lift The Lid On Carbon - A Hopeful Successor To C++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
    Yeah, with Scratch (!) & Cobol more popular than Rust, SQL as programming language... Tiobe is a yet another ranking based on hit counts of some random queries reported by Google & other search engines, a methodology that is generally known to be close to nonsense https://link.springer.com/chapter/10...642-29253-8_73
    Rust has a lot of buzz in the internet. But in real life I visit a job board and see the following numbers:
    c++ - 138
    python - 182
    java - 235
    c# - 199
    golang - 52
    rust - 5

Who in sane mind wants to get 5 job proposals instead of hundreds? So almost none will invest time into learning Rust. The same goes from the company perspective: do you want your product to get locked with a not widespread technology and hard to find developers?
    Last edited by Sergey Podobry; 21 July 2022, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
      You are all clueless.
      Forget borrow checkers, static typing etc... the key point is this:

Welcoming open-source community
      • Community that works to be welcoming, inclusive, and friendly

\s
      Doesn't mean we have to welcome all kinds of trash spewed out every couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergey Podobry View Post
        Rust has a lot of buzz in the internet. But in real life I visit a job board and see the following numbers:
        c++ - 138
        python - 182
        java - 235
        c# - 199
        golang - 52
        rust - 5

Who in sane mind wants to get 5 job proposals instead of hundreds? So almost none will invest time into learning Rust. The same goes from the company perspective: do you want your product to get locked with a not widespread technology and hard to find developers?
        It's in Linux.
        Those numbers are going to shoot up dramatically in the coming years, just from that alone. Never mind Microsoft and Amazon's commitment to it. And it's in Chromium now too.
        It's massively widespread. You don't realize that because you're looking at jobs about maintaining 20 year old software and going "where's all the rust?", you sound like a pointy-haired boss.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
          Does Carbon Rust?
          No. Carbon oxidizes, but rust is oxidized iron.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

That's the worst of both worlds. The borrow checker is the feature to like in Rust. Everything else in it is... OK, I guess, but I wouldn't migrate for it. If you're gonna migrate for syntax sugar alone, then you may as well aim higher and hope for some Python-like language.
            The borrow checker is its worst feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
              It's in Linux.
              Those numbers are going to shoot up dramatically in the coming years, just from that alone. Never mind Microsoft and Amazon's commitment to it. And it's in Chromium now too.
              It's massively widespread. You don't realize that because you're looking at jobs about maintaining 20 year old software and going "where's all the rust?", you sound like a pointy-haired boss.
              It's opposite to widespread and I showed you the proof. And numbers aren't going high in near future. It's like a chicken-egg problem: no jobs, no developers, no products.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Mommy, I am writing unsafe code that i don't understand and compiler is mean to meee, I don't like that compiler, I want to pretend i know everything better.
                Tell your mommy she raised an idiot because safety like security is one of the most bland terms that like shit can be thrown at anything and stick for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

The borrow checker is its worst feature.
                  I'm starting to think you're furiously enraged at Rust because you're refusing to sit down and learn how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergey Podobry View Post
                    It's opposite to widespread and I showed you the proof. And numbers aren't going high in near future. It's like a chicken-egg problem: no jobs, no developers, no products.
                    Linux Foundation, Microsoft and Amazon. Linux, Firefox, Chromium. Discord's adopted in the backend to replace Go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Linux Foundation, Microsoft and Amazon. Linux, Firefox, Chromium. Discord's adopted in the backend to replace Go.
                      You can count them on fingers. While there are so many companies using Java, Python or C++ that you couldn't fit them in a single post on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X