Google Engineers Lift The Lid On Carbon - A Hopeful Successor To C++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

The issue is that it's inevitable all of those projects will be rewritten. Either piece-by-piece or all at once.
    A third alternative is that they may be eventually replaced by something else more modern.

Comment

Of all of the language syntaxes that I've seen, Carbon certainly is one of them. Admittedly, it's been a few years since i did any C++, but how exactly is...that...supposed to have a shallower learning curve than Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        C(arbon)

C++ ain't broken, but everyone keeps trying to fix it.

Proper programmers are a dying breed anyways, most of the coders these days shouldn't be trusted with something as versatile and easy to fuck-up as C++, what we really need is a really simple language like python but paired with an interpreter that allows it to run almost as fast as decently written C++ code would have.

I don't know what sort of magic it would take, but that's what we need. A lang like python that babysits you and holds your hand and doesn't let you fuck up too bad, even forces you to format your code well, but fast like C++.
        But C++ is broken. In more than one way.

Examples:

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

You're clueless, no more words, I've seen your explanation - you're clueless if case you didn't get it the first 2 times.
          Still haven't gotten a response at what exactly I'm clueless about.
          Have you gotten a chance to calm down and figure out how to express yourself?

Comment

Languages come languages go. Who has the 'luxury' of jumping from language to language to new language to the next 'new' language. As a professional programmer for a company, I am going to use 1) the language that makes most sense for the problem at hand, 2) that will have long time support down the road, ie. well established, and 3) can be supported by the personal in-house. So for us, that is going to be C/C++, Perl, Python for what we do, maybe some C#. On the IT side, being Windows centric, there is C#, VB as options. All the 'fluff' languages, as great as they seem to be, or talked up by people who seem to follow 'modern' languages like lemmings... just won't get used. Who has the luxury? Or willing to take a risk? To spend the time to know them well enough to be productive? ... No, I see the writing on the wall.... we'll still stick with the tried and true. Someday there 'might' be a truly revolutionary language, but so far I haven't seen it -- just like this 'new' Carbon one. Just my thoughts.
            Last edited by rclark; 20 July 2022, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Heh. It's not enough we have Rust and learning it is an investment. Let's make another language and convince everyone it's to be used instead. What can go wrong?

Sounds like a wrong language at the wrong time.

I wouldn't go with C or C++ for anything new. With Rust - yes. But not with a Rust knock off.

Comment

I wouldn't go with C or C++ for anything new.
                See, that is your decision as an individual ... but a corporation who has most of there applications written in C/C++ (or C# or VB) in a Windows environment.... Would you suggest to management to start using an upstart language like Rust instead of Visual Studio with C/C++, C#, and VB support? When everyone is 'used to it' and productive? That would be a very uphill battle I think. I've dabbled with Rust here at home, but right now I don't see it as a language that our corporation could support for the long haul. For personal use, maybe. So it goes . That said, when universities start churning out professional programmers that have used Rust as there primary learning tool during there 4-10 year tenure... then momentum may start to shift, as people retire and new blood moves in.
                Last edited by rclark; 21 July 2022, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                  See, that is your decision as an individual ... but a corporation who has most of there applications written in C/C++ (or C# or VB) in a Windows environment.... Would you suggest to management to start using an upstart language like Rust instead of Visual Studio with C/C++, C#, and VB support? When everyone is 'used to it' and productive? That would be a very uphill battle I think. I've dabbled with Rust here at home, but right now I don't see it as a language that our corporation could support for the long haul. For personal use, maybe. So it goes . That said, when universities start churning out professional programmers that have used Rust as there primary learning tool during there 4-10 year tenure... then momentum may start to shift, as people retire and new blood moves in.
                  Uh, Microsoft and Amazon are pushing heavily for Rust, and Rust is being included in Linux, the first language besides C to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                    There kind of has been a mass exodus of C++ users to Rust.
                    maybe on reddit & other circlejerk communities with very few real software developers... But not in reality

Comment

Originally posted by jarekZ View Post
                      maybe on reddit & other circlejerk communities with very few real software developers... But not in reality
                      Linux.

Linux.

Why do people ignore this.

It's getting into Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X