GCC Rust Approved By Steering Committee, Likely To Land For GCC 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC Rust Approved By Steering Committee, Likely To Land For GCC 13

Phoronix: GCC Rust Approved By Steering Committee, Likely To Land For GCC 13

The GCC Steering Committee has approved of the GCC Rust front-end providing Rust programming language support by the GNU Compiler Collection. This Rust front-end will likely be merged ahead of the GCC 13 release next year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should have been Zig (or nothing, nothing works for me too). Rust is an overhyped buzzword pushed by the corporations and their zombified zealots.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
      Should have been Zig (or nothing, nothing works for me too). Rust is an overhyped buzzword pushed by the corporations and their zombified zealots.
      "Everyone's an idiot except for me." -- Spongebob imitating Squidward.

Follow for more inspirational daily quotes.

Comment

What's the benefit of having a GCC port?

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
          I would assume easier adoptable for buildtools. Just one Compiler collection with its quirks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
            I would guess you have done extensive analysis on Rust and can enlighten us all why Rust is so bad ?
            Please continue with praising C for their great (non-existent) stable ABI and that you just need
            'good' programmers to write 'good' code.
            I mean all those noobs writing Rust can't just write good C right ? \s

Bootstraple builds in systems like guix or nixos,
            broader architecture support
            and i would guess it makes it easier to combine c/c++ with rust

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

"Everyone's an idiot except for me." -- Spongebob imitating Squidward.

Follow for more inspirational daily quotes.
              Everyone I Don't Like is LITERALLY HITLER - The Song

Comment

In many ways this is one of the big strengths of C and C++. It has literally hundreds of different compilers from different vendors.
                This in itself is important because:
                • Prevents the sole vendor from being bought by Microsoft and being ruined like everything else
                • Forces a stronger standard (and a deeper analysis of a standard) so vendors can implement theirs based on it
                • Sharing all the positive points from different vendors (I feel like AddressSanitizer is one of these examples; mudflap wasn't quite as adopted).
                Last edited by kpedersen; 11 July 2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Aside from other points made in this thread, and the general benefits of software diversity, I think the driving factor is allowing Rust in Linux, since GCC is still by far the primary compiler for Linux even if LLVM works with it now.

Comment

Are rust/llvm and rust/gcc sharing the front-end?
                    How much latency between one release with llvm and one release with gcc?
                    What are the consequences for cargo?

Comment

Working...
                    X