Java Benchmarks: OpenJDK 8 Through OpenJDK 19 EA, OpenJ9, GraalVM CE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archkde View Post
    Why is OpenJDK 8 so fast, counter to the general trend "newer is faster"?
    It does fewer things. No modules support, no records, no enhanced switch statements...

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
      The only better alternatives are C, Rust, C++ and Ada, but If you plan to develop mobile apps with those languages, good luck!
      Considering nowadays you just stick to ARM for phones, it wouldn't be crazy for a phone provider to actually allow Rust. It'll never happen, but a man can only dream.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post

"only"
        Most of the energy my phone uses isn't on 'running code', it's on 'sending radio signals' and 'making screen bright'.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          Java and derivatives, I hate you for your poor performance and huge memory consumption.
          You are the reason why Android phones performing lower than iOS and requiring more RAM.
          Java coder can always nullify unused objects and call garbage collector to reduce memory usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dovi View Post

Compare it to any other high level language that you could use to develop a mobile app with.
            All languages that are used for mobile suck. The reason is not because bad languages are fit for mobile apps. It is because google and apple (if I am not mistaken) provide an API for slow languages but not for any language that does not suck. Forcing java down your throat is one of the main reasons android sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

Most of the energy my phone uses isn't on 'running code', it's on 'sending radio signals' and 'making screen bright'.
              Even if it spends 30% (random number that looks realistic) of the energy running code and java drains twice the energy of native compiled code, it wastes 15% of your phone battery...

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
                For anyone interested in Java ricing, the Minecraft community (of course) has come up with some flags for GraalVM EE: https://github.com/etil2jz/etil-minecraft-flags

Clear Linux's OpenJDK build also had some Minecraft performance benefits in the past, but I haven't tested it recently

...I wonder if I can add a Minecraft chunk generation test to openbenchmark, since it technically doesnt require any authentication.
                Have any script handy to automate it or more details?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Have any script handy to automate it or more details?
                  The Minecraft server install is fully automated with a built in script, though I typically test with Forge or Fabric modpacks (which are also fully automatable), where the chunk generation commands are also fully automatable.

I can put something together in a git repo for sure. I need some time since I am on vacation atm, but I will ping you when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post

All languages that are used for mobile suck. The reason is not because bad languages are fit for mobile apps. It is because google and apple (if I am not mistaken) provide an API for slow languages but not for any language that does not suck. Forcing java down your throat is one of the main reasons android sucks.
                    how many app developer thinks will be able (or will even be interested) in learn C++? not to talk about Rust...

Java might not be the most optimized language for a phone but has an incredible ecosystem of library and tools that allow people with "not-so-great" programming skills to write apps.

those apps are worth a lot of money for Google, for the phone makers and for the depeloper themselves.

Beside that considerations, Java is good.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Considering nowadays you just stick to ARM for phones, it wouldn't be crazy for a phone provider to actually allow Rust. It'll never happen, but a man can only dream.
                      How many "app developer" do you think would be able to write their apps in Rust?
                      Most of them are not even actual programmers and don't have any CS education. (not that it is a requirement for Rust programming, but is at least helpful.)

If Rust were the only option for writing apps, the whole mobile world (including software, harware and services) would be 1/100 of what it is today.

(and the borrow checker surely would find something to bother me for every time I try to make a call )

Comment

Working...
                      X